Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Abel Reels

From Eastern PA
I think it's funny when the people on the Winston forum go on and on about pair an Able up with a BIIIx. Hmmm. 6 oz reel with a 2 oz rod. That'll work.

I agree on Bauer. Definitely the sweetest reel I own.

Posted on: 2011/3/28 17:05

From Altoona/Smoke Run
So some guy heard that I fly fished for salmon and steelhead on the WNY tribs of lake O. He contacted me to buy (2) 8 wt Abels That were on some fancy rods. He wanted 600 each. I showed my wife the email and you woulda thought I just told the worlds funniest joke. I had a tough enough time explaining the 300 dollar receipt for my st.croix that she found 2 years later. lol

You ever hear that quote "My greatest fear is that some day my wife will sell my gear for what I said I paid for it"?

Posted on: 2011/3/28 17:30

From SEPA
Quote:

Rod_Hertzer wrote:
Why has the name Abel been thrown out there alone? Why not Tibor, Bauer, Hatch, Galvan, Lamson, Ross? They all make high end reels.

I assume because the OP got sucked in by eyecatching reels and the exorbinante increase in price to make yours unique from a book of stock designs. :)

As to Lamson, it is my personal opinion only that they make the ugliest reels in modern, brand name, manufacturering. I don't care if they're as great as everyone says, they are ugly. I think its because instead of a counterweight, they flare the spool arm opposite the handle. Its uniquely their look, and I'm happy about that.

In regards to the Winston, I find it interesting to compare reel weights to the ever decreasing weight of rods. I don't own any of the modern ultra light weight rods, nor do I own any modern ultra light reels, but I'm wondering what happens as we continually move towards larger and larger arbour reels with big drags versus lighter and lighter rods...I guess a balance is struck for now as rods are going longer, too.

Posted on: 2011/3/28 17:40

From State College, PA
My only comment here is if you only experience PA trout, an Abel is not for you. If you have experienced serious saltwater fly fishing, then you will quickly realize a Lamson or Bauer will not do the job for very long. If you need an endorsement, check with a Professional guide, say in Florida Keys, and see what they use.
An Abel is expensive. But consider what a decent saltwater trip costs ($500/day for a guide) and factor in what the price of a fish of a lifetime costs when your reel blows up on the first scorching run. I have witnessed this and it is not a pretty sight. Imagine a grown man crying over buying a piece of cut rate crap because some inexperienced fly shop clerk told him it was all you need. There are alternatives to Abel, but they are very near the same price point (Tibor, Nautalis, Fin Nor, etc.) Do your homework!!!
For those who fish only PA trout, you are correct, buy a $20.00 reel. It stores line as good as a wooden spool. You don't ever need anything better. But don't take it to Alaska or float trips in Montana. You will kick yourselves in the ass.

Posted on: 2011/3/28 20:16

Not to go off on the Bauer tagent. But I agree, they are good reels. Though prior to the clutch upgrade done a few years ago I did see one blow up on a striper on the Vineyard late-nite one nite.

That said, you gotta love the fact that when you call them, the person's last name on the other end of the phone, is Bauer.

Posted on: 2011/3/28 20:33

From SEPA
Quote:

Montcopo wrote:
An Abel is expensive. But consider what a decent saltwater trip costs ($500/day for a guide) and factor in what the price of a fish of a lifetime costs when your reel blows up on the first scorching run.

-shrug-

Its a hell of a story, innit?

Oh.
Hey.

What did all those guys do to catch all of those fish before Abel et al hit the scene? Y'know, when high end was an adjustable clicker that favoured in OR out, versus one tension, both directions? Or, maybe that fantastic upgrade, the drum brake drag ala the Medalist?

I guess you're right, ain't no fish caught back then.

Quote:

I have witnessed this and it is not a pretty sight. Imagine a grown man crying over buying a piece of cut rate crap because some inexperienced fly shop clerk told him it was all you need. There are alternatives to Abel, but they are very near the same price point (Tibor, Nautalis, Fin Nor, etc.) Do your homework!!!

Oh, I have.

Quote:

You don't ever need anything better. But don't take it to Alaska or float trips in Montana. You will kick yourselves in the ass.

Because that's how stories are made.

Posted on: 2011/3/28 20:45

I had a Fin Nor in Montana-silliest thing I ever bought,bar none.
Too heavy and just plain boring-well okay,i was too dull to appreciate it.

but we all get tempted to buy something that sets us apart from the next guy who is us.{thanks Pogo.}

Posted on: 2011/3/28 21:02

From Eastern PA
Quote:

gfen wrote:

In regards to the Winston, I find it interesting to compare reel weights to the ever decreasing weight of rods. I don't own any of the modern ultra light weight rods, nor do I own any modern ultra light reels, but I'm wondering what happens as we continually move towards larger and larger arbour reels with big drags versus lighter and lighter rods...I guess a balance is struck for now as rods are going longer, too.

Obviously lighter and lighter reels. That's where the Lamson Hard Alox Litespeed comes in. I assume they will continue to get lighter and lighter as well.

It seems to go the other way too. I see all these guys putting ultra light reels on 10' rods and they are completely unbalanced thus making high sticking tiresome. But that's just my opinion.

Posted on: 2011/3/28 21:35

From SEPA
Quote:

jdaddy wrote:
I see all these guys putting ultra light reels on 10' rods and they are completely unbalanced thus making high sticking tiresome. But that's just my opinion.

That was the only part of that experience I got right.

Posted on: 2011/3/28 22:36

From St.Clair
Definitely not worth the money, take a few hundred and buy a top of the line rod, take the few bucks left over and buy a decent reel.. You don't need a reel like that to fish rivers for trout in Pennsylvania.

Posted on: 2011/3/29 1:49

From Dillon, CO
I would have to agree with many that you don't need much of a reel when fishing many streams in PA, especially ones containing stocked fish. I tend to buy nicer reels based on the amount of days I spend on the water and the amount of abuse my gear tends to take. I also believe it's imperative to have a good disc drag reel when using light tippet. When fishing streams such as the Gunpowder, 7x is often necessary when fishing dries. A smooth drag helps greatly to protect such light tippet, as even the smaller wild fish of this stream can give a really nice fight.

Posted on: 2011/3/29 9:55

From Hughesville
Patrick is on the money. I'd buy a reel based on how much I'll be fishing and how long I'd expect the reel to last.

As for Montcopo, are you serious? Really, are you? Based on what you're saying, 97% of us are fishing with inferior reels. I just hope the guts of my reel don't explode next time I'm ripped into the backing by a 10" stockie. Whew! I almost caught a fish last week but when my ball bearing, anti-reverse, one way koyo clutch failed to engage, the burly 9" wild brown snapped me off like it was nothing.

I guess that if I were looking at a Galvan Torque, Ross Evolution, Lamson Litespeed or other fine reel, it's just throwing money away since it's not an Abel. Interesting. How has Hardy existed for so long making their click paw reels? Do they have any world records caught on them? I also believe that this is a PA Fly Fishing site. Shouldn't the stories of fishing the FL Keys would go on the FL Fly Fishing site?

Posted on: 2011/3/29 12:49

From Lewistown
I don't even use my drag...at all.

I just strip line in and pinch it in place with my index finger.

I would never spend more than $150 on a reel.
Beside, you can often get expensive reels on sale for under $150.

Posted on: 2011/3/29 13:45

From Lewistown
Oh and I've caught many species on my $70 ECHO reel; from pike to panfish.

Heck I used to fish steelies with a 6wt and a $100 Corland reel. Never had trouble horsing them in.

Posted on: 2011/3/29 13:49

From SEPA
Quote:

Rod_Hertzer wrote:
How has Hardy existed for so long making their click paw reels? Do they have any world records caught on them?

Dentists buy them to display next to their Leica M series bodies. No one actually USES them!

Also, all prior records were SMASHED by disc drag reels, which are so powerful they almost reel themselves! Arguments ensued to create an entirely new classification within the confines of the IGFA, "click/pawl class." They were going to drop the tippet restrictions, and just assumed everyone used 40# to make up for inefficent reels.

Lefty Kreh, a man we can presume might know a thing or two about fly fishing for serious fishes says you apply drag pressure about to what it takes to pull off the spool with your lips clamped over your line.

While I'm sure he uses things like hyper expensive reels, I would think you might find he's more of the belief that a drag that won't lock up as it creates massive heat is preferable to one that allows you to clamp down. Oddly enough, I'd say the most unlikely to seize from heat is...the click-pawl.

If you need more, use your fingers. Mkern does. Hell, he's so hardcore he uses a single finger! Take that, you silly palmers!

Posted on: 2011/3/29 14:39

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com