Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: A FF 'Gear That Don't Work!' Top 10

From Toona
Leader straightners suck, IMO. Always leaves black rubber marks on the line, I just run my fingers over the line and create some heat, job done.

Abel style pliers for regular everyday trouts fishing. Completely overkill, IMHO.

Posted on: 2011/6/27 9:48

From Altoona/Smoke Run
A drag on a trout reel. Most pre fab leader to line connections. Florocarbon unless u steelhead fish in gin.

Posted on: 2011/6/27 23:36

From North Central PA
Tung-Fu putty. Worthless... unless you roll it out like a little silli-putty snake (know what I mean) and coil it onto your leader/tippet.

and sometimes that doesn't even work well.

any flybox that isn't waterproof... cuz I'm clumsy and drop them all the time.

Posted on: 2011/6/28 12:26

regarding drag on a trout reel, I have both spring and pawl and disk drag reels, the last couple of reels I purchased have been spring and pawl. One advantage of disk drag reels over click and pawl reels is that when fighting a large fish on the reel using light tippet (ie: upper delaware system using 6x or lighter tippet) the line plays out of the spool with less tension and smoother using a disk drag. Not to go off on a tangent, but centerpin reels have no drag and bearings somewhere inside of their guts to make the reel free spool very smooth, this in combination with a long moderate action rod allows a pinner to not only get drag free drifts, but also to protect very light tippet when fighting large fish. **I still hate centerpin fishing but the root of it is the fact they always catch more than I do** In conclusion, I don't think disk drags are needed for most trout fishing situations, but they definitley "work" and it can be advantagous to use them. Case in point, I would not want to fish 7x with a 6wt rod and an abel tr2 (spring and pawl), but I would not hesitate to fish 7x with the same rod and a lamson lp2 (disk).

Posted on: 2011/6/28 12:55

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
those little elongated split shot. too small a slot and you can't get them to crimp at all.

Posted on: 2011/6/29 6:56

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From Central Pa
x2.... the dinsmores egg shaped ones where you twist the bottom and the shot get lodged in there sideways and you need a pocket knife to pry it out, im getting mad thinking about it

Posted on: 2011/6/30 14:55

From North Central PA
Sometimes I think Loon UV Knot Sense sux.

It always stays a bit tacky even when you hit it with the UV light for like 10 seconds or more.

Posted on: 2011/6/30 15:55

Quote:

jjsjigs wrote:

It always stays a bit tacky even when you hit it with the UV light for like 10 seconds or more.

It is what it is. Personally, I dig it. It makes nice scud backs, it does remain kinda 'gummy' (I wouldn't call it tacky), but I don't have a problem with that. FWIW it does make knots stronger.

Posted on: 2011/6/30 17:18

From Eastern PA
Quote:

wsender wrote:
Quote:

jjsjigs wrote:

It is what it is. Personally, I dig it. It makes nice scud backs, it does remain kinda 'gummy' (I wouldn't call it tacky), but I don't have a problem with that. FWIW it does make knots stronger.

I don't see how it would add much strength to the knot but meh. I am going to put it on my knots on my hand tied leaders so crap quits getting tangled up. Wonder how much it will impact drift? We'll see.

Re: gummy/tacky sit it outside in the sun and let the UV rays cook it all day. works like a charm. otherwise the cool gloss on the scud back gets all matte translucency when you fiddle with it.

Posted on: 2011/6/30 17:50

From Hanover
Coat it with clear sally hansens.

Posted on: 2011/6/30 22:02

From Martinsburg/State College, PA
Sunscreen below spf 50...I still burn

Posted on: 2011/7/1 8:42

From Enola, Pa.
Quote:

TimMurphy wrote:
Dear Board,

While they are hardly totally useless I'd vote for a landing net. I have two beautiful hardwood nets, one an old style net with the cotton bag and the other is a a catch and release style net.

I just don't particularly care for the hassle of carrying them. If I de-barbed my fly properly I can often simply grab the fly and twist or shake the fish off the hook without really having to handle them.

Maybe if I caught more 20 inch fish I'd feel differently, but I rarely see the need for one?

I had to tie 8 nail knots in fairly short order recently to rig up several multi-tip lines. I started out using a nail knot tool but quickly switched over to tying uni-knots by hand because I was more used to doing them that way.

If you tie your own leaders I think the Dennison blood knot tool is indispensable when you are working with 15# test lines and higher, but for the lighter stuff not so much.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Tim

I agree, I also have two nets and don't ever use either. Over the years I have bought a bunch of accessorics that haven't been worth a darn...wish I had all the money back!

PaulG

Posted on: 2011/7/1 8:45

From Martinsburg/State College, PA
Quote:

PaulG wrote:

I agree, I also have two nets and don't ever use either. Over the years I have bought a bunch of accessorics that haven't been worth a darn...wish I had all the money back!

Everyone buys stuff they wish they hadn't. This is America and we buy stuff purely because we can. The best example is probably fitness equipment. Probably the biggest market of dust collection in the world because the people that buy most of the stuff are middle aged people who want to get tone so they use it for 2 weeks then leave it alone for years until it goes into the yard sale.

Everyone in the forum should get all the stuff they don't use and put it into boxes and donate it to goodwill or something. Or just bring it to a gathering where it can be traded for some other useless stuff we wont use .

Posted on: 2011/7/1 8:57

From Philadelphia
Glow in the Dark gooh! I thought, great I can now nymph fish at night when the big boys are out, of course you need to carry a UV source and a 100 ft extension cord!

Posted on: 2011/7/1 9:01

From down the block from the Letort.
always thought these things were kinda ghey:

Lamson-Ketchum-Release-Tool

Posted on: 2011/7/1 9:31

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com