Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

9' 8 weight outfit

From Lancaster
I am looking at buying a 9' 8 wt outfit for next season. Primarily so I can throw some bigger flies in search of that 20" smallie. I'm considering an 8 wt to give me some flexibility down the road in pursuing big carp, steelhead, pike or even small saltwater stuff if I get a chance. I am leaning hard toward a Cabelas rod mainly because of price and the fact that I get past Cabelas a lot and if I have any problems I can have it resolved quickly. I don't know what reel I am going to put on it either but I don't mind spending a bit more for a better quality reel. Any reviews or insight anyone can give me on any of these rods or a good reel to match with one would be greatly appreciated. I am not in a hurry but do want to have it all together come Smallie time! Thanks.

Posted on: 2012/12/26 15:11

Re: 9' 8 weight outfit

From South Lebanon Township, PA
dc - I just got a Cabela's L-Tech 9'0 6wt for Smallies. I'm pretty sure there's a 9'0 8wt in that lineup. The exposed reel seat probably wouldn't agree with some from an aesthetic point of view, but it doesn't bother me. I can't speak for its durability as I just got it, but it's a fast action line launcher that I think will be good with larger flies. The Smallies I'm after are more in the 8-14" class, and the flies I use are in the size 6-10 range so I went with the 6wt, but the 8wt would probably cover more of the bases you're after.

FWIW, they're usually about $220, but every few months they're on sale for a week or two in the $160 range, which is what I paid for it. They're actually on sale now too it looks like.

Posted on: 2012/12/26 15:53

From Etters,Pa
I use an 9' 8wt TFO BVK for river smallies and carp paired up with a Lamson Konic 3.5 and they both have served me well the last 3 years. The BVK is light and fast with a great warranty and the Konic has one of the best drag systems on the market The best part is the whole package can be had for right around $300.

Posted on: 2012/12/26 17:51

From Lancaster
Thanks for the replies.

Swattie, What line are you going to put on that new outfit? I am considering one of those Bass taper WF lines. I need to do some research but let me know what way you are heading with the line or any other good line info you may have.

D-dog, thanks for the heads up on the TFO line of rods. I had never even considered that line of rods but I definitely am now. I was already looking at the Konic as an option for the reel. Does BPS in Harrisburg have a decent selection of the TFO rods in stock?

Thanks again, I really appreciate the information.

Posted on: 2012/12/27 9:12

dc - I haven't made my final decision on line yet. It'll be a WFF 6wt of some kind though. I also was considering one of those warmwater/Bass tapers as streamers/poppers for Smallies will be 95% of what this setup is used for probably. There's a chance I'd possibly use it for Whiteflies and Green Drakes too (instead of my workhorse 4wt) so that has me still considering a standard taper WFF to some degree as well.

Got a gift card to Cabelas for Christmas for the line, so next time I'm up that way I'll check some out and make a purchase.

Posted on: 2012/12/27 9:52

From Southwestern NY
I've said this a million times it feels, but for the money the redington pursuit outfit is an awesome deal. With a lifetime warrenty on the rod as well. Great case line works just fine, and thats all I've caught with it carp, bass n walleyes. Ussually $180 shipped or if you can find a ten pereceny discount through fishuss that would be the way to go. Also id grab the 9'6" one its always nice having abit more rod to mend line with...

Posted on: 2012/12/27 10:32

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
a million times here to, a custom made rod thats your own.......

Posted on: 2012/12/27 11:18

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From Lancaster, PA
I would second the TFO line of rods. I used a TFO 9' 8wt TiCr for several years, unfortunately earlier this year the tip broke on me. TFO discontinued the TiCr, so I upgraded to the TiCrX and absolutely love it! I have it loaded with an Okuma Integrity 8/9 reel with Orvis Generation 3 WF bass taper. I love the setup.

I also have a TFO 8'9" 8wt Clouser rod which is very similar to bot the TiCr & TiCrX. I at times use that with the reel set-up above, but also have a Rio 8wt Versi-tip line, also spooled on an Okuma Integrity 8/9 reel. Gives me the opportunity to switch up from WF floating, to intermediate line, to full sink tip if desired.

I use this set-up for both smallies here on the Susquehanna & Conestoga River in Lancaster, but also use the setup for steelhead in Erie.

Bass Pro in Harrisburg has a great line of TFO products, that's where I bought my TiCr and my Clouser rod. Not to mention Bob Clouser's son, Bob Clouser Jr, is the fly shop manager there. Great rods at a good price point. They don't come with a rod tube which is a drag, but they have a great warranty and good customer service as I discovered.

Good luck!

Posted on: 2012/12/27 14:45

From LV
I mainly use a 9 ft 4 weight rod for casting dries to smallies and for small streamers up to about a #6. If I'm fishing streamers only I use my 9 foot 6 weight. Both are very fast rods, Loomis IMX's. I've never had an issue landing big smallies. I occassionally lose them when they jump, but never because I'm under equiped.
On a trip to Pine Creek in October I caught a bunch of smallies in the DH section on the 4 weight, no problem. It has as much to do with having the equipment you're comfortable with then having a big heavy rod.

Posted on: 2012/12/27 16:32

From Ferguson Twp.
Quote:

Swattie87 wrote:
I also was considering one of those warmwater/Bass tapers as streamers/poppers for Smallies will be 95% of what this setup is used for probably.

I have a Wulff triangle bass taper with my bass small/ large mouth setup. It turns over the biggest bugs I've spun nicely.

Posted on: 2012/12/27 18:48

From Philadelphia PA
I am an Orvis man for sure. I have a 3wt, 6wt and a 8wt. It all depends on where you are fishing and if you really want the challenge of tiring out the fish or just hauling it in quickly.
I like the fight with my 7.6' 3wt on the creeks and rivers. I have caught 3 lb rainbows with it. The 9' 6wt where I'm unsure and the 9' 8wt on the lake where there are lilly pads. I felt that I could have used a 10wt at salmon river for salmon. And that was because I was not really interested in the fight only the catch.

Posted on: 2012/12/27 19:38
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

dc - Was up at Cabela's today and made a line purchase for that 6wt L-tech. Went with the Cabela's Prestige Warmwater 6WFF. Figured why not since the price was the same as for the Prestige Plus regular WFF and most of this rod's life will be spent on Smallies/WW. Welded loop on the leader end and all for $40.

Posted on: 2013/1/19 13:33

From Lancaster
Swattie - I was looking at that Prestige WW line. It looks like a decent choice. Here is my new 9' 8 wt outfit. Cabelas Three Forks 908-4, Cabelas RLS 3 reel with SA Mastery Texured Series Magnum Taper
8 WFF line. Not sure how I'm going to like the textured line but they had it marked down to $39. Figured I give it a shot. I bought one of those 20" hard rod/reel cases as well. Total package was $235. Good luck with your new 6 wt outfit.

Posted on: 2013/1/19 14:02

From Ohio
Did you try out the rod yet? I ordered same rod and I should get it in the next couple days.

I have the regular Prestige Plus WF line on my 5 and 6wts and am pleased. Good line for the money. I fish both warmwater and coldwater a lot and haven't had any issues in either situation.

Posted on: 2013/1/19 15:07

From Landenberg, PA
Greys Platinum XD Saltwater for me - a friend recommended to me after he bought one as a back up to his Sage Xi2, then he stopped fishing the Xi2....

$270.

i love it.

Posted on: 2013/1/19 19:26

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com