8 foot 4 wt

F

fisherboy3

Looking to upgrade my cabelas rod to something a little nicer. Can anyone reccomend a good 8 foot 4 weight rod? A friend of mine had showed me an orvis superfine rod which i liked a lot, bu not for the price. Also, possibly anybody have any for sale?(sorry, i know this isnt the swap forum)Anythings appreciated- Kev

TFO has their Lefty Kreh Pro series for $150 in an 8 ft wt.

Redington has their pursuit line in an 8 ft 4 wt for like 120

Cortland makes one in their brook series as well, not sure on the price, think they're like 150-200ish?

anyways, I've used the TFO, great rod w/ a lifetime warranty.. heard good things about the other two as well.

Find or build a Versitex 8' 4wt with the plum coloured blank.

I went through several different 4wt rods before I found this, including Cabela's LST, and a few TFO rods (including the Professional).

Recently, I moved away from it mostly because I could, but it is still the benchmark I judge rods by.

I have the tfo professional in 8ft 4wt. It's a nice all-around rod and they have replaced it twice.

I also have a 7.5 ft 3wt in Gary's suggested make. Both are good rods, but I think the tfo is the best bet for cost effectiveness. It definitely is if you plan on using the rod heavily due to the warranty. The warranty issue is what soured me to the custom rod game. Versitex stands behind their rods, but who wants to rebuild itif it breaks?

Phone. Sorry bout spell and punctuation if it's bad.

Might end up buying an 8 foot 4 wt orvis superfine from a buddy of mine for a good price. Anybody have any good suggestions for a reel and line setup for this rod?-Kev

click and pawl reel that holds about 50-75 yards of backing and your line

Allen 345 trout. Just got mine in a few weeks ago and it looks SWEET! Toss in one of his lines for $10 and you can't beat it. Link on right hand side of all pages.

Dear fisherboy,

Might as well put an old style standard arbor Orvis Battenkill on that Superfine and keep things in the family. I like the click and pawl version better than the disc drag version but they are getting harder to find for less money than the disc drags.

Check ebay or any fly shop that sells used/traded/consignment gear.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

I have a GLoomis GL3 8' 4 wt 2 pc that i love to fish sulphers with,and i also love the Winston TMF 8' 4 weight,but the stick your after is alsos a beauty too,look for a click and pawl if you can keep your eye open for a cfo click and pawl at a yard sale or flea market.

Thanks for the inputs guys. Click and pawl reels are hard to come by, but i think ill look into finding one. I have the battenkill bbs 1, which i love to death. Great little reel for fishing little brookie streams and on a 6 foot little cortland 3/4 wt rod. Are ross reels, and or Lamson reels any good?- Kev

Fisher,
I have several Ross Reels, 2 San Miguels a #2, and a #3 with extra spool,and a Ross Canyon #2 with extra spool, IMO these were the best reels that Ross Has made ,they also have great resale value and hold their value too,If i were gonna go Lamson it would be a Litespeed hands down it weighs near to nothing and the new hard alox coating is remarkable the old coating was also great too, but do try and get a click and pawl i think you will enjoy that reel above all others...drags are over rated for trout unless you are fishing for Lake Run fish.
If you want a ross why not an Abel trout or creek reel?
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

Redington drift is a click reel and is priced around 100. I have a access 9' 4 wt and I like it alot.

fisherboy3 wrote:
Thanks for the inputs guys. Click and pawl reels are hard to come by, but i think ill look into finding one.

No, they're not actually. They're all over, you just have to look.

Three vendors introduced new clickers to the market this year (Cortland, Greys, and Redington), the Pflueger 1492 soldiers on for like 85 years straight, Abel gives you the high end, the Chinese makers give you Abel clones, and Red Truck was the one who sent the design over to eb copied for the middle ground anyways, and Orvis continues to pump overpriced "limited edition" clicker CFOs.

Or, y'know, Hardy if you're truly flush.

You could also delve into the used market.

I got a Grey's X-flite from here http://www.eflytyer.com/ that I really like. Waiting on a reel from Allen which I hope will arrive this week. The rod loads really well nice and is accurate.

Back