Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: 7'6 Rod

From Couldn't Care Less
Quote:
A fast rod has nothing to do with accuracy. It's the caster that's accurate not the rod.

WTT .. so ur saying I'm f'd no matter what I get

Posted on: 2012/10/24 19:18

From Clinton County, Pa.
Quote:

Stagger_Lee wrote:
Quote:
A fast rod has nothing to do with accuracy. It's the caster that's accurate not the rod.

WTT .. so ur saying I'm f'd no matter what I get

I did'nt say that you did. What I'm saying is a slow rod can be just as accurate as a fast action rod. It's ALL a matter of practice no matter what rod you fish with.

Posted on: 2012/10/24 20:53

From SE Pa
Quote:
......... a slow rod can be just as accurate as a fast action rod. It's ALL a matter of practice no matter what rod you fish with.

+1

Posted on: 2012/10/24 23:24

I like both slow and fast action rods, but on a really small brookie stream (10' wide) a fast action rod might be good to zip/sidearm cast under branches that are both ahead of you and behind you..

Posted on: 2012/10/25 7:12

gosh there is not enough advice here so here's some more... it is good to cast in the yard for fun and to get used to gear, but take a tape measure out there if you will yard cast a brookie rod...

... the 10-25' casts you really use on small brookie streams look like nothing in an open yard, so gear that feels great on what seem like short yard casts, say 35', isnt really set up for small stream brookie casts..

the 15' small stream brookie cast looks like nothing in a yard. try sidearm short range casting under some branches in the yard, the branches are there on a stream..

and a 4pc rod is better than a 2pc rod to hike with

Posted on: 2012/10/25 8:01

From down the block from the Letort.
Or if you're too lazy to measure it out with a tape, drop a marker like a stick where you'll stand, then use your rod to measure off distances. 7.5' foot rod...2 rod lengths is 15ft, 4 is 30, drop the tip, note that spot on the ground, go stand there, drop the tip again and pace off the distance that way, that'll get you close enough. And definitely use the obstacles you have available to practice, small trees, shrubbery, picnic tables...

Posted on: 2012/10/25 11:48

From Landenberg, PA
i have two trout rods - a 9ft 5wt that i use for big streams and streamer fishing and nymphing.

I also have a new bamboo 7ft 4wt now, which is going to be for dry fly fishing and small brooks.

the 9ft 5wt is just fine for both on small brooks - the long rod actually helps keep line off the water for short casts.

so i'd say that if you want to fish light or want to fish dry flies more then go for it.

i'd second the votes for Redington and Echo rods, and would add Greys to that list (made by Hardy).

check out flystorecloseouts they usually have some good deals.

i too would go for a slower action rod - hence the bamboo ;)

Posted on: 2012/10/25 19:10

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Agree on the yard casting thing. Neighbors look at you funny, but I kinda like the "eccentric" tag. :)

I have a large weeping cherry with branches that come down to below knee level. It makes a fun brookie course. Obstacles all around. Pick spot, try to hit it from farther and farther distances.

FWIW, longer rods do have one big advantage. Bow and arrow casts. As a general rule of thumb, the amount of line you can "cast" comes to about 2 times the length of the rod, as measured from the rod tip. So with a 9 ft rd, you can cast around 18 ft of line+leader. Including the length of the rod, it's roughly 27 ft from your hands! And you can do that accurately with tight loops and no backcast, it's great for putting it through "windows" in the brush.

With a 7'6", it's considerably less. 15 ft of line + leader, or only in the low 20's from your hands. The difference may not seem like a whole lot, but on stream, those few extra feet are often the difference between catching the fish and spooking it before getting a cast off.

So when it starts getting a little thick, shorter rods start working better. But when it gets REALLY thick, if you can manage to walk with it, a long rod regains it's advantage.

Posted on: 2012/10/26 10:49

From near Hershey, Pa
Just some food for thought.

Fast action (tip flex) rods are for shooting line and you won't be shooting much line on a small streams.

In tight places, you want to be able to load the rod without a back cast which is where a softer (mid flex) rod will shine.

Each has their place and everyone has their preference, too.

The Orvis Superfine series of rods is tailored to small streams and short casts. They have stayed around since the beginning of graphite rods because of that. I see used one for sale pretty often, too.

I think you will enjoy a short rod as a change of pace. I like the shorter lever length when casting. I like how the rod feels quicker than swinging the long timber. I do quite a bit of fishing with a 7 1/2 ft. rod for a 5 weight.

Good Luck,

Shock

Posted on: 2012/10/26 12:46

I definitely agree with pat: longer rods make much better bow-and-arrow casts. There is a great discussion of this cast in the Orvis/Tom Rosenbauer book on fly fishing small streams book. This book is generally a great resource:

http://www.amazon.com/Orvis-Guide-Sma ... eam-Fishing/dp/0789322250

Also agree with deltas comments above about a lot of this (fast versus slow rod, overlining, how much to use bow and arrow, etc) is just what different people want to do, how they tend to cast, etc

Posted on: 2012/10/26 13:20

From SE Pa
Quote:
In tight places, you want to be able to load the rod without a back cast which is where a softer (mid flex) rod will shine.

+1 ..... for me, more acuracy, less snagging in the brush behind, & more stealth.

Posted on: 2012/10/26 13:41

From Landenberg, PA
i'd also say that in terms of the bow and arrow cast, a mid flex road is what you want, not a tip flex.

the fast action pings the line out too fast and is difficult to control imho.

mark.

Posted on: 2012/10/26 14:15

As for fast versus slow rods in short casts on brookie streams: most fly rods are made for conventional length casts... So a 2 weight fly rod is made to cast about 40 feet of two weight line, because that is what most fly fisherman do. Some slow action rods, including lower line weight models of the Orvis super fine, are designed for small stream fishing and optimized for casting only about 20 feet of line. That is good for small stream fishing

If you put a 3 wght line on a fast 2 wght fly rod, it may cast better at short range , because 25 feet of 3 wght line may weigh about as much as 40 feet of 2 weight line.

With some experimentation you can use the fast action rod to cast at short distances... And I prefer fast action rods on a really tight overgrown stream....

I actually tried a slower action rod yesterday on a tiny overgrown stream and I did not like it as much for sidearm zinging flies in under branches

Everyone's mileage may vary due to casting stroke etc

Posted on: 2012/10/28 11:43

Edited by k-bob on 2012/10/28 11:59:32

From LV
I have rod, it's an IM6 Loomis rod that I built. I don't use it to much any more because I have another 7'6" 4 weight rod I use. PM me and we'll negotiate.

It is an excellent rod for small to medium sized streams, and it casts weighted flies especially well. I have used on the LL quite a bit, and for my money it is a perfect rod for any stream up to the size of the LL, which I consider to be a medium size stream, bigger than Valley, but not as big as Big Spring where I've also used it.

As for what to get, I use my 7'6" 4 weight on streams that have 50 and 60 foot long pools, like Cedar and Slate Runs and it's fine for casting on those streams, I can get out between 60 and 70 feet, even with the slower rod. I don't usually buy into over-lining a rod especially on small streams, any stream from Slate Run down to 10 foot wide stream, if you have good rod, you don't need to, it just confuses the issues. This rod lso casts well in short distances.

So, want do you want, a rod that will allow you to pick up and cast the line without endless backcasting, backasting just spooks fish needlessly. You want a rd that will pick up line with little effort. Most of ll you want to be able to horse in fish so that you don't stress them needlessly.

Posted on: 2012/10/28 14:09

Edited by Chaz on 2012/10/28 14:42:03

From North East PA
Stagger

I bought the LL Bean Quest 7' 6" 4 weight outfit and am very happy with it. It's too bad you weren't at the LL Friday. I had it with me and you would have been able to try it.

You may want to take a ride over to the store and try a few casts with one.

Posted on: 2012/10/28 19:47

"Hey, Wait, that rock is moving" - Pat D, Newbie Jam, 3/16/13

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com