HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: 50.00 Abel Nippers, Worth It?

From Other side of the tracks
Amazing. Truly Amazing.

$50???

I don't want to hear any of you paying $50 or even $20 bucks for a glorified nail clippers to EVER complain about the cost of a fishing license or a gallon of gas.

$50 is what I paid for each of the last two fly rods I bought (pre-owned of course).

I'm planning on giving one of them away as a Christmas gift. Now let me think here. Which gift would my fly fishing friend appreciate more, a $50 pair of glorified nail clippers, or a 7' 1 wt travel rod. That's a tough one.

I tell you what, if I spend that much on any nail clippers or nippers, they better at least have a bottle opener and a cutting blade and I am not talking cork screw either although that would be nice, too.

Posted on: 12/12 9:21

From Upper Bucks
Even if I were to pick these up for 1/2 price, I can't justify $25 for something that I know that I will lose.

Abel makes great products and I've used many of them but they're a little too pricey for me.

Posted on: 12/12 9:27

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Quote:

FarmerDave wrote:
Amazing. Truly Amazing.

$50 is what I paid for each of the last two fly rods I bought (pre-owned of course).

I'm planning on giving one of them away as a Christmas gift. Now let me think here. Which gift would my fly fishing friend appreciate more, a $50 pair of glorified nail clippers, or a 7' 1 wt travel rod. That's a tough one.

Hmmmm a 1wt rod I would NEVER use or something I would use every dang fishing trip. I think I would prefer the nippers. I would never buy either of those things, but I know what I would prefer. I would sell that rod so quick and use the money I got from it to buy hooks and stuff. Don't listen to me though, I don't have 2 ponds and am an engineer with brits.

Posted on: 12/12 9:38

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From florida
Image is everything? $50 for nippers is outrageous. GG

Posted on: 12/12 9:41

From Dauphin PA
Debate over $50 nippers...... I'm going to bet some giving their thoughts will also tell you that spending more than $8 for fly line is foolish. Hilarious

To add my 0.02, too much unless you can afford them. I got a pair of hardened nippers for $7-$9 several years back and they work fine and probably will until the get ripped off my vest or pack.

Bam, if you can bite through 3x fluoro all day, that's outta my league. The chompers start to hurt after 2 fly changes. Lmao.

Posted on: 12/12 10:42

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
As an inventor of blade steels, I'm into paying a lot more for slightly higher quality cutting tools. I have a $350 folder in my pocket right now (no, I didn't personally pay that much).

The steels are designed and mostly used in machining equipment, to cut other steel. They find their way into a few really high end consumer knives. Still, in that market, unless you are really, really more demanding on knives than mere mortals, then this thing isn't any better than your decent quality run of the mill $50 hunting knife from the likes of Buck or Gerber. Oh it's a slightly better combination of toughness/hardness/wear resistance/corrosion resistance/sharpenability/etc than the cheap commodity stuff. Maybe a professional chef or something, but I doubt the average knife user will ever notice in use, and that includes me. It's what I do, so I'm into it, but knives aren't something that needs a lot of improvement for the average consumer. The status quo works just fine. Buck and Gerber make fine cutting tools for the masses.

But when it comes to nippers, I'm more like everyone else. It's just not equipment which needs to be improved. Like Becker, I've never been streamside and muttered to myself "dang these cheap nippers!" I'll happily stick with the cheapo ones you get in a plastic bin.

Posted on: 12/12 11:27

From Lehigh Valley
Been using an Abel nipper for the past year. Only reason I got it was that it was actually cheaper for me to buy them with my discount and the free shipping, than driving an hour to the closest fly shop that had my favorite Dr Slick angled nippers, or get them online and pay shipping.

They do look cool, but I can describe their performance in two words.

They suck.

Posted on: 12/13 9:17

From Dauphin PA
Don't you mean "they nip"?

Posted on: 12/13 15:52

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

krayfish wrote:
Don't you mean "they nip"?

No. They're awesome for cutting 20 lb test. Not so good for the lighter stuff.

They're also tough to get close to the eye on small patterns - the Dr Slick angle nippers do a much better job of that.

The hook eye cleaner pin is all but useless on small flies too.

I can see the worth if using them on larger flies, and heavier tippet, but for smaller trout flies, they're overkill.

Posted on: 12/14 16:52

From Lansdale
The WJ nippers that came with my Confluence have a REAL small eye cleaner.

Posted on: 12/14 17:12

I just buy the $3 nippers by the flyshop register. I can buy a lot of them for $50 and they always seem to get lost eventually anyway. Haven't had a problem with any of them. The set on my vest retractor is 5+ yrs old and still going strong. A minor miracle that I still have them. I also have the hemo/cutters also. I'd rather put the money towards another rod, reel or post fishing beer!

Posted on: 12/14 19:15

From SE Pa
Nail clippers for me. I have never dented the edge of clippers cutting fishing line. How are you guys putting dings in the cutting edges of clippers?

Posted on: 12/16 8:02

Yes, they are worth it. Although, everything you buy for need or pleasure is subjective. Do I really need them, probably not, but they are nice and perform splendidly....Some would say bamboo rods are not worth it, but it is hard to hold anything else in my hands but cane when fishing....Only you can answer what is really worth it. If I answer these questions for you, you might go broke

Posted on: 12/27 9:20

From Philadelphia PA
Go to the Fly Fishing Show in NJ - I'm sure they will have nippers for a lot cheaper than $50.00.

Posted on: 1/10 15:33
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

No

Posted on: 1/11 16:36

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com