5 weight question

L

limestone

Hi all,

I'm lookin for a new 9' 5 weight. I want something that has fast or med fast action, with a price ceiling of around $300. So far I have been doing a little research, trying to narrow it down to a handful of rods, so that I can then visit some shops and test em out. As of now, these are the rods I'm looking at:

TFO TiCr
Cortland Endurance
Albright A-5
Winston Vapor
St. Croix Legend Ultra

I was wondering if any of you have casted with any of these rods, and if so, what are your impressions? If there are any other rods in this price range that I should be looking at let me know.

Thanks!

The TiCr and the Ultra are both sweet rods. The TiCr might be the best value for the money around. St. Croix Ultras are endorsed by some famous fisherman, including Bob Clouser, Bob Jacklin and Bob Popovics. (What's with all the Bob's?) I like them both. Depends on what you want to pay. If I remember correctly I think the Ultra was a bit slower action, but I think they also bust your 300 dollar cap depending on the number of pieces and the length of the rod. If you're willing to spend more, the Sage SLT is any unbelievablerod for those who prefer a med-fast action.

limestone wrote:
Hi all,

I'm lookin for a new 9' 5 weight. I want something that has fast or med fast action, with a price ceiling of around $300. So far I have been doing a little research, trying to narrow it down to a handful of rods, so that I can then visit some shops and test em out. As of now, these are the rods I'm looking at:

TFO TiCr
Cortland Endurance
Albright A-5
Winston Vapor
St. Croix Legend Ultra

I was wondering if any of you have casted with any of these rods, and if so, what are your impressions? If there are any other rods in this price range that I should be looking at let me know.

Thanks!

Dear limestone,

I own a St. Croix Legend Ultra 9 foot 4 piece 5 weight from the pre-IPC days. I really like the rod a lot and find it well suited for just about any general purpose trout fishing. I use it for nymphs, streamers, wets and dries and I am happy with how it fishes. I'd describe the rod as closer to medium than fast. I think St. Croix uses the term medium-fast, but I can say that the rod is definitely more "mediumer" than the Sage 590 RP 2 piece it replaced. I have not cast the newer IPC version, but if it is similar to the older version I'm pretty certain you could be happy with the St. Croix.

I've handled but not cast the Cortland Endurance. I didn't want to cast it because I simply didn't like the appearance of the rod. The reel seat reminded me of a Hyundai Sonata rolling on "dubs", in short I thought it was ugly.

If the Winston Vapor casts anything like the Ibis that it replaced I think that might be a nice rod as well. I came very close to buying an Ibis when I bought my St. Croix. The Ibis was a much faster action than the pre-IPC St Croix but it also felt light in my hand and not the least bit clubby. I wound up buying the St Croix because I had a gift certificate that offset the slight price difference and I wanted to buy a rod from the shop selling the St Croix.

I have never seen an Albright rod up close so I have no comment on them.

I'm failry certain that Cabela's carries all the rods you are considering and they will allow you to test cast them outside their Hamburg store. If that is an option for you it might be a good idea to take a ride and try them out rather than simply take message board suggestions.

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

limestone,

I use a 5wt St. Criox Legend Ultra, it's by far the one I use the most. Never fished with any of the others you mentioned, no need too in my opinion.

JH

When I had contacted Cabela's and they informed me that they do not let you test cast their rods on site.
Just my experience.
Chris

A lot of people overlook rods by LL Bean. I've had one for over 17 years. Actually, I broke the tip off about 10 years ago and they sent me a whole new rod. Mine is a 9ft 5-6wt. Mine was only about 100 bucks but I would imagine their rods in your price range must be pretty good based on my experience.

"When I had contacted Cabela's and they informed me that they do not let you test cast their rods on site.
Just my experience.
Chris"

That's odd; they've allowed me to test cast behind the store. It wasn't crowded, so you may need to go when they have extra staff on hand. If you go, look for Ron. He's always been very helpful.

The Orvis TLS is in your price range. I like the midflex, but not the tipflex.

fishinginasuit wrote:
When I had contacted Cabela's and they informed me that they do not let you test cast their rods on site.
Just my experience.
Chris

Dear Chris,

This isn't offered to contradict what you were told, but I have already spoken to the fly shop by phone and they told me test casting is permissible and encouraged.

Likewise, a fellow who posts here has told me that he has bought a rod at the Cabela's Hamburg store specifically after test casting it.

Maybe you caught the wrong guy on the wrong day?

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

2 things:

1. I work at the hamburg cabelas in the fishing dept. You can always test cast any rod we sell.

2. i also have the "older" model legend ultra 5 wt (8 ft) and really like it. I haven't cast the new one but it seemed faster when I looked at it.

That's just what I was told. I guess I did just catch the wrong person the wrong day. Just my luck. I just wanted to add in what I had heard.
Chris

Thanks to all for the comments. I went over to Cabela's today and tested the Legend Ultra, Cabela's LST, TFO TiCr, Sage FLi, and Loomis Metolius. It was really windy in the parking lot, and the faster rods were definitely casting better. They were all nice rods with the exception of the LST which was a noodle, but I finally decided on the FLi which had the fastest action and ultimately best fit my casting stroke. The FLi was also within my original budget, it retails for $295 but I got it for $275 thanks to a $20 coupon. The store was having a little bit of a sale for opening weekend, though I'm not sure of all the details.

St. Croix Ultras are endorsed by some famous fisherman, including Bob Clouser, Bob Jacklin and Bob Popovics. (What's with all the Bob's?)

That's funny. I know of a bunch of other fishing Bobs, who aren't so famous as those. Bob just might be a good fishing name. If they fall out of a boat, they "bob" back up.

Winston Ascent rods are amazing and just below your price ceiling. I'm also fond of anything TFO produces. I have a Lefty Kreh signature rod that ran me about 80 bucks, and under certain conditions, it casts better than a mid range Sage! The low-end TFOs are ugly as sin, but their have amazing action!

Back