4wt or 5wt?

ErnieBall

ErnieBall

I have my own opinion on this but an curious to hear some of yours. I am picking up another "all around" trout rod from this site:

http://shop.wildwaterflyfishing.com/99-Freshwater-Fly-Rods_c15.htm

I am instinctively going for the 5wt, but am thinking that maybe I should go for the 4wt. I have an old Battenkill 3/4 reel at home that I'd like to spool up but don't know if it will marry well with the heavier 5wt. I am leaning towards the 4wt simply for something different - but the only thing holding me back is that I don't ever want to feel like I dont have enough juice in the rod and jumping up to a 5wt isn't that drastic and maybe the old battenkill will work well with it.

Opinions?

There's not a huge difference.
I own 2 8'6" wts. and an 8'6" 5wt and 9' 5 wt. I really don't see the difference.

Right now one of the 4wt. and the 9' are set-up as nymph rig, and the other 2 for dries. However, I will/can switch out the leader and my fishing performance isn't deminished.

Matter of fact, a medium action 4 wt. could be a really great nymphing rod, and a fast action 5 wt. could cast some really mice dries.

If I had to choose one.......I couldn't. (hence my 3 8'6" ers)

My TFO 8'6'' LK Pro 5wt was fast action and did really well when casting dries.

I just bought one of their 5wts 2 weeks ago at the Philly Sportsmans Show. It's going to be my nymphing rod. I used it once since I got it and like it so far. Until now I've been using a 4 wt with no trouble except on really windy days. My guess is you won't go wrong with either wt.

Ya - if it's really windy - I have a nice Winston 6wt that I will take out with me. I think I am going to go with the 4wt, and possibly string up the Battenkill 3/4 with 5wt line to slow it down a little bit. Good idea?

If you have a 5 wt and a 6wt, go with the 4. Or heck go with a long 3 wt for dries.

I am of the school of thought that feels you should disregard your other rods when selecting a new one.

People like me and you are young enough to buy the right tool for the job. Decide what you want it for, and buy the optimal rod for that situation. It shouldn't matter how close it is to others in your arsenal. You're going to end up with 40 rods by the time they plant you, so I'd rather have 40 rods to fit 40 situations than 40 rods selected to cover some arbitrary range of use.

Jay: I agree - I am going to go with the 4wt - I don't have one and it can double as my small stream rod for now, as I dont have a proper one.

i just got one of his rods at the oaks show and have about 50 fish on it already. I got the 9' 3wt Tech 2 for an UL indicator rod. Works pretty well and will probably get an 8 weight and maybe a 10' 4wt in their HX series. The rod is pretty stiff and probably would not be the best dry fly stick. The HX rods felt slower, but still moderately fast. The HX reminded me of my Loomis GL4 in action and color, too. For under $100 with a warranty, it you really can't go wrong. Good choice with the 4 wt!

I have heard really great things about it and I think I got a pretty decent setup for 160 (added the Allen Co 3/4 Alpha reel). It takes some time to look around and find the deals, but once you do, you cant beat it. You wont ever find me spending 800$ on a set up, simply not worth it.

I was always a 5 wt guy, and got a four a year and a half ago It became my go to rod for streams and rivers. The tip is more sensitive, and handles lighter tippets better. I only break out the 5 on really windy days. I can actually cast my 4 as far or further than my 5 on a calm day. No difference that I can tell in how large a fish you can land. The lightness and sensitivity are welcome.

George:

That was the dealbreaker for me. I know that I can still fish bigger rivers with the 4wt, but I was really kind of looking for a little more "lightness and sensitivity". It also is a bit more versatile than a 5wt because I can easily take it to small streams with me (although it is a 9wt). Oh well, I'm excited to check it out.

Ernie,
what size you gettin'? i liked the feel of the 10' but im not sure if it would be practical foir my purposes....i want an 8' or 8.5' but they didnt have them. There is a cortland brook series 8.5' 4wt for a great price on ebay...wait...im supposed to get it!!!!

jeff

jayL wrote:
You're going to end up with 40 rods by the time they plant you

Wait, so when I end up with 40 rods, I die? If I always just sell off one and buy another, a perpetual 39, do I live forever? Did anyone tell Heritage Angler this news... Wait.. I think it might be too late!

Not so fast, Marquis. I'm still at #31 - room to play! :-D

HA - thats insane!

I'll let you guys know how the warranty works out on the WW fly rod. I broke mine casting this weekend and will be sending it back this week.

You broke it casting? What happened? Just got mine today and I am not overly impressed about the saddle and "rosewood" - it seems a bit cheap.

I do agree with you on the reel seat seeming cheap. It is made in China. I busted the guys stones a little about that. He said he will eventually start making his own.
I really don't know how I broke it. I was roll casting and half lobing a medium weight streamer and all of a sudden it was broken. It broke about 6" above the top sections connection point. I may have hit it on something and didn't hear it due to the rain pounding on my hood but I don't remember feeling it.
I will say I liked it for the few hours I used it nymphing. As long as the warranty process is smooth, I still think it's not a bad rod for the money.

Back