Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: 4X or 5X

From Hummelstown
pafisherman,

I wish a 4 wt graphite penn rod. I see what your saying but can't exactly translate that to my rod..

Posted on: 2010/10/4 21:06

tossinflies , u do want a leader that lays streight most of the time for no other reason than acuracy , especially for wild picky trout that are in a rich stream that don't like to move far for a insect , slack leaders are good for fishing across currents though but acuracy for dry fly fishing catches more fish in my opinion

Posted on: 2010/10/4 22:27

From Eastern PA
Quote:
tossinflies , u do want a leader that lays streight most of the time for no other reason than acuracy , especially for wild picky trout that are in a rich stream that don't like to move far for a insect , slack leaders are good for fishing across currents though but acuracy for dry fly fishing catches more fish in my opin

I don't think most would agree with that. The use of slack leader presentation in no way affects accuracy. "wild picky trout that are in a rich stream" such as Letort, Falling Springs, etc has so much complex surface currents that slack leader presentation is all but required. It prolongs a drag free drift much, much longer than a "straight" leader.

Posted on: 2010/10/5 11:47

From Eastern PA
Quote:
also if I can ask what does "I am serious here, let's keep it clean here" I wasn't trying to upset anyone?

It was not directed at you. I was discussing a "sloppy lay" and some board members may read something into that.

Posted on: 2010/10/5 11:48

From Chester County
lol...when you start out FFing you strive to learn to lay out your line and leader for a perfect cast.....come to find out, that's usually the worst thing to do for both fishing dries or nymphs...

Posted on: 2010/10/5 11:53

slack leaders are way more in accurate than a streight leader , i have seen guys try to pile up the leader , some times the fly lands behind the fly line and sometimes it land above it creating drag on the fly line which pulls the fly , like i said they are good for cross currents but all other situations make it lay streight ! i guess how long your drag free drift is ,depends on where you are standing relative to the fish that is feeding.

Posted on: 2010/10/5 20:46

From Bozeman
I only want my leader to lay straight if I am casting dries directly upstream. Otherwise, some kind of slack is necessary.

troutslammer is correct that a straight leader is more accurate, but accuracy doesn't do much for me if I'm getting sub par drifts. A straight leader means that there is a relatively tight line connection to the fly. This is a recipe for drag, unless the drifts are very short.

I do find slack leaders useless for brookie fishing, since they don't really mind drag, and accuracy is critical.

Posted on: 2010/10/5 21:13

From Hummelstown
Quote:
It was not directed at you. I was discussing a "sloppy lay" and some board members may read something into that.

Hahaha thanks jdaddy

And, one other thing, Whats a good way to tell when your getting drag on your drift when your nymphing or using midges

Posted on: 2010/10/5 22:01

jay hit the nail , short up stream drifts , thats why i said depends on where u are standing relative to the fish , if u place your self a little down stream of the feeding fish and cast up and across , a short drag free drift is very very possible with a streight leader and you can be very accurate hitting the feeding lane alot more precise but we all have are own methods and ideas here so whatever works

Posted on: 2010/10/6 21:44

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com