406 Fly Line

L

lestrout

Anyone have any experience with this small boutique line brand?

It's a bespoke line made by SciAngler for 406 with the AZT coating, which is a good start and reference for how it floats, shoots and how the coating responds to temperature variations.

They are true to weight and designed with (slower) glass rods in mind. The tips are almost twice the length of a Mastery Trout while the front tapers are similar but in a few sizes longer by a few inches.

They come with welded loops (on both ends of the DT) in a light olive color that I really like.

I cast the WF version on a friend’s glass rod and liked it (even though I don’t like the rod) but I have heard the DT is an acquired taste, possible due to some of the DT’s having a longer front taper than the WF.

I don’t own any for any of my glass rods, (I’m a fan of the SciAngler Mastery Trout & Airflo Super Dri Elite DT’s) but they are well liked in the glass community and right up there with the Mastery Trout & 444 Peach among favorite lines for glass. I haven’t read any reviews from bamboo rod owners.

There are a bunch of reviews on the 406 website as well as Fiberglass Flyrodders & Fiberglass Manifesto websites. Obviously like any line, it depends on the rod and your preferences so YMMV.

Hope this helps a little.

I have one on my 8'4wt Tom Morgan and one in my 8'9" Livingston. They are both WF lines.
I Love them.
Load the rods with little effort on my part - a short haul allows a lot of distance.
The longer head taper is very nice for delicate presentations.
They are dry fly lines. Period.
Not a good choice when fishing from a drifting boat.
Wonderful if anchored or wading.

I have used them in Central Pa, Catskills and Idaho.

I figured 406 rods needed 406 lines. Oh, the reels are both Bozeman SC series.
They are terrific to deal with. When I bought the lines last year, they sent me a hat and coffee mug with the order.
When I called them, they said it was their gift.

Back