3wt reel

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

So I plan on buying a 3wt from Albright in the next month. However I'm not too sold on any of their reels. I'm looking for something that's under $100. Any suggestions? The rod is 7'6" and weights 2.2oz, so something that would balance it properly. Also, I plan on overlining it, so what's the rule on reel size? If I put 4wt line on it, should I get a 4wt reel, or no issue with a 3wt reel (advantage of being lighter for better balance). This will be my small stream rod, so little to no backing on it for capacity sake and nothing I will feel bad about dinging up.

Thanks,

Ryan

$100 for a reel is a bit beyond your usual budget concerns. Are you looking to spend that much, or are you looking to get off cheaper?

I use an okuma sierra that I got for $35 or so. I have had it for years.

Honestly, it seems crazy to me to spend a lot of money on a small stream reel. I know that machined reels will last longer, but I will take my chances on dropping and breaking 3 okumas. I'm still on my first after about 8 or 10 years.

I'd skimp on the small stream reel, and add $60 to my 5wt budget if I were you.

That's my max. I would always go for something cheaper as you know. If WVU wins on Saturday then I'll be golden for my new setup lol. Got a solid $100+ in the pool here at work.

My biggest issue in looking for a reel, is that most reels are either made of plastic, that will be light enough to balance the rod, or they're machined alluminum and weight upwards of 5+ ounces which I think would not balance too well. But not sure on the balance thing as I am just starting to upgrade my gear.

I'll also add what a good suggestion is for a line for the new rod?

The sierra is cast aluminum, and weighs in at just over 5 oz. It balances my versitex 3wt pretty well. If you recall, it's the setup I was using when we went brookie fishing.

As for line, I recommend

http://www.hookhack.com/flylines.html#ANCHOR-1

or

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0043884.shtml

They are both rebranded cortland lines.

I don't recall... I was too busy fishing lol. Where should the balance point on a rod be? Is there a general rule or is it just by feel of the individual fisherman?

If I can cast a rod without detecting the influence of the reel, I consider it balanced.

I consider the balance point to be the middle of my grip point.

There were some options in the recent 2wt reel thread that you might consider, or what about a Pfleuger Medalist link 4.2 ounces and $24.

i got a 4wt , 7'6 albright a-5 , it weighs 2.7 OZ. , it balances real good with a 3.5 oz. reel (machine aluminum , top water reel by albright ) the reel is click and pawl and a click adjustable drag , it is nothing more than storing line on a small stream rod , forget about drag when fighting brookies , the drag system is what costs the bucks , i got the top water 3/4 reel for free with the purchase of the A-5 model rod , so u can ask them what kinda deal they will give ya , i think the rod is 110.00 now and when i bought it was 120.00 so they might not give a free reel , the cheaper gpx rod has a wood reel seat and aluminum rings i think , but the graphite is not as strong but don't hold me to this , but the top water reel will probably last a few yrs for 20 dollars , atleast till the baby is in kindergarden .....lol ps i have a pflueger medalist i paid 25.00 for and its a good line storing reel too !

Troutslammer's Albright Topwater looks like your solution Ryan. $100 reel on sale for $40.

http://www.albrightflyfish.com/fly-reels/topwater-fly-reels.html

you can pick up a ross flycast pretty cheap on ebay

If your money is tight, I'd skimp on the small reel and spend your money elsewhere. I got a G-Loomis on mine and it balances well with my 3wt... retail for $100 but you can find them for $60-70 Check out the orvis battenkill. If I recall, they're light and in your budget.... though if you're overlining it, you might have to go up a size.

Really, you can probably go with the smaller reel if you want something light. The only need for backing on one is to attach the line to the reel and keep the line memory down a bit.

for my 3wt brookie reel, I bought a dt3 and cut it in half, that allows some backing and also gives me another new line to use if I ever wear out the current one. cut a few feet off the tip end also and it will load the rod better with less line out.
I've never even come close to casting the entire half line. some folks don't like a dt line, but I find them nicer to use on smaller waters, they seem to roll cast better as well.
lots of good reels out there for under 100 bucks. I'd have to go with either a medalist for 24 bucks or an orvis battenkill, I think the 3/4 is 79 bucks. both reels have been made for decades and parts will be available for a long long time. plus, the orvis has such a nice purr!!! I've had one for 20 years and it's still like new.

i have an Orvis CFO on my 3wt that i got for around $125. i don't mind paying a bit for a nice reel. that's part of fishing for me... they things you use all day... your vest, nips, net, rod, reel... i like them to be nice and worry free if i can afford it. plus, as a lefty, most cheapie reels i've tried don't work well for me. for instance, i have a Cabelas Prestige reel that is aluminum and pretty nice for the money but i foun that when stripping with my right hand the line would contantly get stuck between the spool and the spool guards... clearly the reel was designed for righties because this would never happen stripping with your left hand.

Here's a nice two part write up in rod/reel/line balancing:
http://www.flyfishohio.com/Article_Index.htm#Tackle%20and%20Gear

Nice link to two great articles, Number6 (you're Number1 in my book).

I'm a fanatic about balancing my rod and reel.

Also, I'm a big believer that many anglers make a mistake by not experimenting with over and underlining their rods.

All good stuff.

afishinado wrote:
Nice link to two great articles, Number6 (you're Number1 in my book).

Actually, in the end, Number 6 was, in fact, Number 1. However, the symbology of this is argued by all.

Was it simply that Number 6 was a prisoner in his own mind?

Be seeing you!

142px-PennyFarthing.svg.png

I just won my new 3wt reel on ebay for $.01 lol. $14 shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-1BB-FLY-REEL-BF600-3-4-LINE-ALUMINUM-BODY-122G_W0QQitemZ310212039864QQcategoryZ0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m506QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DRPSI%252BNGRI%26its%3DI%252BC%252BS%26itu%3DUA%252BUCP%252BMAGEXP%26otn%3D20%26po%3D%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D9069002721289640617

hopefully it's not too shiny for those brookies!

Surely you jest...

4.3 oz and for $14 it can be a flop and no big loss. Fits my usual tight budget and should balance my new rod well. Now I just have to get my new rod in the next few weeks!

Back