3wt Line Selection

jerseygeorge

jerseygeorge

If all goes well, and I still have a few days to screw up, Santa will be delivering a 7'6" Orvis Superfine Touch, 3wt, along with a Lamson Reel. Looking for line selections.

This rod, my first Orvis, was recommended by a guide as a great 3wt for both nymphs and dries. The rest of my arsenal are all 9' rods, but I wanted something with less overhead issues on smaller streams.

I am a fan of Sharkskin fly lines. Not all are. But I am not confident that is the correct line for a rod where I will in reality be casting 10-40 feet or so maximum.

Anyone have a suggestion on line and taper for a more delicate rod for smaller streams? I grew up on double taper fly lines, have not used one in years, and wonder if it would be best.

Suggestions?

I would go with a WF Hook & Hackle line. JMO

no price constraint...

I have a DT on my 3wt. I feel it gives a better presentation to small flies. I have sharkskin line and they are OK but I like RIO lines better.
My 2 cents.

delta_dog wrote:
I would go with a WF Hook & Hackle line. JMO

Yep!

I'm an Orvis fan and am not afilliated with them. Here's their Hydros Trout Line which comes in colors and DT or WF for $75.

Hydros Trout Lines

My Orvis lines are over 12 yrs old.

Cortland "Clear Creek". It's made in WF and DT. I have several in line weights 2,3 and 4. It's my favorite line for delicate presentations.

WildTigerTrout,

I bought a Clear Creek 3 weight line about 9 months ago, and it coiled like a snake. Maybe it was a fluke. The folks at Cortland replaced it with a 444 at my request. This was better, but I like the 444SL, used them for decades and just bought one at Cabela's half price.

I have rio gold on my 7 footer. Loads at short distances, casts and floats great too.

outsider wrote:
WildTigerTrout,

I bought a Clear Creek 3 weight line about 9 months ago, and it coiled like a snake. Maybe it was a fluke. The folks at Cortland replaced it with a 444 at my request. This was better, but I like the 444SL, used them for decades and just bought one at Cabela's half price.
I never had any problems with their "Clear Creek" series of lines. IMO that coiling must have been a fluke.

I have that rod and it casts beautifully with Orvis Superfine WF. Believe it is now called Hydros Superfine. M

Thanks all. I will go with a WF. Sounds like it will load better on shorter casts. I have RIO gold on my 4 wt, but I might try the ORVIS this time around. I could not get the Cortland website to come, tried all weekend. Did not try today. I did try a clear line when they came out years ago. Coiled in cold weather, and was larger in diameter.

Jersey George,
I am a big fan of Cortland 444 SL and Rio lines but what about a Wulff Triangle taper? I have been using them along with the other two an am starting to really prefer them.

risen lines are on sale right now.very low price.

www.risenfly.com

I am a rio dealer but for the softer rods (superfine) I like the cortland sylk lines. they just cast so nice on the soft action rods, whether its glass, grafite, or boo..a dt on that would be sweet. I have a 7'6" 3 wt with a sylk thats a dream..

Serious question. Is Cortland still in business? For about a week their corporate website has been down. Perhaps someone unplugged the wrong cable when they went home for Xmas? Maybe they don't want to sell to people from Jersey?

www.cortlandline.com

Cortland was sold several months ago. My best guess is they may be re-working and/or updating their website.

Orvis makes a lot of great lines for all different types of fishing. I am glad to advocate their gear. Although I have tried several other makers that have good lines - I like the Orvis ones the best.

When I worked for orvis the only line I liked was the mid price one, all the wonder lines are junk in my book, was with them for 3 years..all in all i would rate lines as
1--rio
2--cortland
3--wulff
4--sci-angler
5-- orvis

Back