Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: 3wt Line Selection

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
I am a rio dealer but for the softer rods (superfine) I like the cortland sylk lines. they just cast so nice on the soft action rods, whether its glass, grafite, or boo..a dt on that would be sweet. I have a 7'6" 3 wt with a sylk thats a dream..

Posted on: 2012/12/27 11:22

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From Central Jersey
Serious question. Is Cortland still in business? For about a week their corporate website has been down. Perhaps someone unplugged the wrong cable when they went home for Xmas? Maybe they don't want to sell to people from Jersey?

www.cortlandline.com

Posted on: 2012/12/27 12:26

From Clinton County, Pa.
Cortland was sold several months ago. My best guess is they may be re-working and/or updating their website.

Posted on: 2012/12/27 13:02

From Philadelphia PA
Orvis makes a lot of great lines for all different types of fishing. I am glad to advocate their gear. Although I have tried several other makers that have good lines - I like the Orvis ones the best.

Posted on: 2012/12/27 19:46
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
When I worked for orvis the only line I liked was the mid price one, all the wonder lines are junk in my book, was with them for 3 years..all in all i would rate lines as
1--rio
2--cortland
3--wulff
4--sci-angler
5-- orvis

Posted on: 2012/12/28 14:35

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From SE PA - Montgomery County
Madison River Fishing Co. has the Rio LT (light touch) in WF and DT on sale for about $35 right now. I just ordered a 4 wt DT line. I cannot comment on how good it is, but I wanted a light line for dries and this one was a good price.

I never liked the Cortland 444 lines. I used to buy them often, but I felt that they cracked much more easily that other lines I owned.

The Orvis Wonderline I have I am not too happy with lately. I have one that is good and another that seems to retain its memory and coils up too much even though I try to stretch it to keep it from coiling up, but that does not seem to work. In cold weather it is worse.

Posted on: 2012/12/28 15:21

From Philadelphia PA
Do not all lines coil up when it's cold out? I have not found one yet. Also if you leave your rod and line in the car when it's cold out this will also affect its recoil.
The Cortland 444, I agree, they don;t seam to last as long. Part of the problem is that I don't clean and lube them often enough.
Anyways, I like weight forward or the double taper best.

Posted on: 2012/12/30 16:20
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

From Clinton County, Pa.
Quote:

PennypackFlyer wrote:
Do not all lines coil up when it's cold out? I have not found one yet. Also if you leave your rod and line in the car when it's cold out this will also affect its recoil.
The Cortland 444, I agree, they don;t seam to last as long. Part of the problem is that I don't clean and lube them often enough.
Anyways, I like weight forward or the double taper best.
IMO Cortland's "Sylk" line is their most supple line and the best of the lot for cold weather.

Posted on: 2012/12/30 16:45

From pittsburgh pa
i prefer a dt on my 3wts

Posted on: 2012/12/30 17:47

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com