2019 Purchases

Ryno17

Ryno17

I wish I had thought of posting this closer the beginning of the year but I guess it’s not too late. Looking back at 2019, what would you say was your most beneficial purchase for fly fly fishing ? Or what purchase were you most excited about and did it live up to your expectations ?
I’d say for me it was my flyweight wading boots. Although I wish I would’ve bought one size up.

Any needed materials to keep me tying what I needed. That's not exciting or anything but it was the most important purchases that I made this year.

Foot tractor wading boots.
The aluminum bars give great traction

My G3 boat...made chasing musky/bass easier

I told my friends and family that if they saw me buying more fishing tackle to hit me between the eyes with a hammer. GG

Outboard motor & yes, it far exceeded my expectations.

Orvis PRO wading boots

Ventilated cork grips that I put on a couple of rods. Allowed larger diameter without being clubby. Solved some discomfort issues and added feel and a bit of flex. Will likely do 3 or 4 more this year. Would certainly not be to everyone's taste.

Boot-foot waders, 1 spool of 17 lb mono, and one striper popper. Certainly am not keeping the fishing industry in business. I have about zero fishing equipment envy, which winds up keeping expenditures to a minimum.

Backpack/ Vest with Hydration Bladder. I had several really bad dehydration headaches when hiking into remote streams because I carried what I thought was enough water. With a 2 Liter Hydration Bladder and an extra water bottle, I fared much much better on long hikes and long days in the PA Wilds.

My 2019 fishing license.....

dryflyguy wrote:

^ I bought these too on closeout. My current wading boots are still going strong after a few years, but I expect to have to replace them soon. I plan to try them out out soon to see how they work. Hopefully I'm as happy with them as you are!

afishinado wrote:
dryflyguy wrote:

^ I bought these too on closeout. My current wading boots are still going strong after a few years, but I expect to have to replace them soon. I plan to try them out out soon to see how they work. Hopefully I'm as happy with them as you are!

Same here .... got a great price at the end of the year. I wore them this weekend and was pretty happy with the choice.

Not helpin' the fly fishing industry the last 2 seasons. Haven't gotten out enough to break, lose or wear anything out. Hope this coming year is better.

A 40 degree underquilt for my hammock... I spent a cold night in the woods a few falls ago, with just a sleeping bag for insulation between me and the air. Anything where the temperature drops betweel the upper 40s makes for a cooler than comfortable sleeping adventure. Adding the quilt added a nice comfort layer on a June outing that dropped into the upper 30s (where my brother and nephew shivered through the night and ended up on the ground) and an early October outing that dropped into similar temperature ranges. Made for a number of comfortable nights' sleep in the woods...

Salmonoid,

If you need any hammocking advice let me know. I've been hammock backpacking for years and have made lots of gear, own an abundance of topquilts, underquilts, tarps, hammocks, suspensions, etc etc.

You probably need an underquilt in anything colder than 60° in my opinion. I slept down to about 0° comfortably in one..

jifigz wrote:
Salmonoid,

If you need any hammocking advice let me know. I've been hammock backpacking for years and have made lots of gear, own an abundance of topquilts, underquilts, tarps, hammocks, suspensions, etc etc.

You probably need an underquilt in anything colder than 60° in my opinion. I slept down to about 0° comfortably in one..

Pardon my ignorance as I have zero experience hammocking, but wouldn't a sleeping bag have you covered?

ryansheehan wrote:
jifigz wrote:
Salmonoid,

Pardon my ignorance as I have zero experience hammocking, but wouldn't a sleeping bag have you covered?

When you sleep in a hammock, you compress the stuffing in a sleeping bag, leaving the equivalent of not much between you and the air. You need an underquilt or a sleeping pad underneath you to sleep comfortably. A sleeping bag would have you covered on top, but gravity is gonna drag your butt down and compress the sleeping bag stuffing.

salmonoid wrote:
ryansheehan wrote:
jifigz wrote:
Salmonoid,

When you sleep in a hammock, you compress the stuffing in a sleeping bag, leaving the equivalent of not much between you and the air. You need an underquilt or a sleeping pad underneath you to sleep comfortably. A sleeping bag would have you covered on top, but gravity is gonna drag your butt down and compress the sleeping bag stuffing.

Good to know, learn something new every day!

Back