2015 5-weight Reel Shootout

tridentfly

tridentfly

http://www.tridentflyfishing.com/bl...d-test-best-trout-reel-lamson-hatch-abel-ross

It's that time of year again. The time when we all start thinking about fly tackle for spring, and the time of year when we release our shootouts. This year, we tested a reel that many more of you will use: the trout reel. We also took our testing to the next level, and added a couple innovative categories, including a never before done freeze test to see if drags were truly sealed. All to find out: What's the best fly reel for trout?

Reel Shootout?

I read it yesterday as I am in the market for a nice 5 wt. I have been trying to decide between the Galvan and Ross Animas. One question, the Torque drag scored the best, but the Galvan Rush LT drag did not score as nearly as well. According to Galvan, they both have the exact same drag? Can you add any additional info about that?
Thanks and great report.

Even the spools are interchanable. Report also said that finish on a Rush was not as tough as Torque but according to a galvan they have same identical finishing process.

I own a Torque. Great reel.

Longbow - thanks for the note. I can tell you unequivocally that the drags are not the same on the two reels, even though the look similar. Whether there's a serious difference, a difference in tuning, or pure luck of the draw (though I doubt it), I don't know. The T-5 has WAY more power. You might consider giving them a call?

As far as finish, a couple of possible differences exist:

1. Rush is heavier, which means it's going to take more of a beating when dropped or dragged
2. It's possible a different alloy or paint type was used
3. The design of the T-5 could flex more allowing it to absorb more shock and they land in different places due to weight distribution.
4. There's definitely a (small) element of chance in this part of the test, so again, there could be some luck that the T-5 since they weren't that far apart.

- Ben

According to Galvan they are identical drags and even the spools are interchangeable. Don't know why a reputable company like Galvan would lie about that.

I wish this would have been out before I bought the sage 2250

Just bought a litespeed 1.5 for my 4wt. I guess I made the right choice. Good to know. Nice review.

Have a few lamsons, 2 Ross evolutions and a galvan ob. All reels are nicely made and smooth operating. The lamsons might not be the prettiest but they are bulletproof. The Ross are my second favorites and the galvan is probably my least favorite....probably because the spool popped off a few times while fishing.

You can't go wrong with anything on the list. I'm sold on lamsons though.

What do you think about the new Lamsom liquid?

Maybe this is nit picking, but your chart lists the Orvis Mid-Arbor as made in Korea, while the owners manual for these reels clearly states "Made in China."

Orvis Mid-Arbor Owners Manual

Rob,

The remix vs liquid vs others.... The drags may be similar but the way they are constructed is different. It's not like 'back in the day' when the ss expensive reels were some type of cast white metal. "Drop them and they'd crack" type.

Personal opinion is that the machined reels are a little better construction / more durable. If I wanted to purchase to last until I'm fertilizer and / or wanted better drag...... I'd lean towards a machined reel. The gap betweeit's machined and cast is closing.

After saying all that, I have an old hardy clicker from 1984 ....its a cast reel, its been abused and still works.

I like the Sage for my bvk. I bought an 8wt Mangrove for the swatty and bass. Not that I am a great fly fisher yet. Put a Clearwater reel onn it but nut sure I am a bit fan... also made in China

According to Galvan they are identical drags and even the spools are interchangeable. Don't know why a reputable company like Galvan would lie about that.

Agreed.

Likewise with the drags in the various Lamson models.

From the Trident Lamson review:

The Litespeed has an entirely different drag system from the other Lamson reels.

From Lamson:

Konic II:
The same, super-smooth, fully sealed conical drag system and stainless roller clutch used in our more expensive reels

Guru:
Guru...shares identical drag design and components with our most expensive reels.

Speedster:
...with our time tested smooth as silk, maintenance free drag system

I'm not saying anyone's lying...but without significant proof, I'm inclined to think that the people that make the things probably have a decent idea of what they're talking about...

Cold,
You're missing one part though and I hoped someone would have brought it up.......

"same conical drag system". Yes and no. The Konic and guru should be identical in drag, the velocity and litespeed were also identical. The higher end models were identical as well. All have same type of sealed drag but not the identical cone size. Basically, the more you paid, the larger the surface area on the conical system / the more substantial the drag system was. For 10" fish, not a big deal......for 25 pound fish, it's a bit more important.

I got that info from a tech rep at lamson during a lengthy call discussing the various models and features.

So a Konic has the same 'type' of drag system as a Speedster but its nowhere near being exactly the same. Make sense?

I have been looking for a new #5 reel in titanium for $400 or under a while now. interesting stuff in that test.

i contacted TFO and their BVK II (which is a nice looking reel) is confirmed as being made in Korea (which i'll support) and not China (which i won't).

I was looking at the Hatch 5 - but haven't found out yet where its made - these websites are damn cagey...

the Sage 4250 is made in Korea too as are the Hardy Angel 2's.

I did look at Lamson too, and its interesting to look at the comparisons, but one thing I note is that there is always a LOT of Lamsons on closeout discount, which i think is worry for longevity. and i think Lamsons generally are ugly imho.

in conclusion, I am waiting to poach a "Made in England" Hardy Angel mk. 1. from Ebay and if I don't then a Sage 4250 probably.

cheers

Mark.

Mark,

I thought the same. Ugly and not big on the idea of the pressure fitted spool. Hey, ugly gals need lovin too. I'd let the neighbor kids play street hockey with mine and pop it right back on the rod and go fishing. Most of the 'seconds' you see on eBay are blemishes in the finish...mechanically fine. If you can get past the visual part, they are really nice reels.

All Hatch reels are made in the USA.

kray,

Okay. I suppose.

But even at that it doesn't jive with the rating numbers in the review, where the Speedster and Remix both get a "3" rating while the Guru that lies between them in the lineup is back up at a 7.

Ultimately, I should just probably not comment on reviews like this, as, for me, they start out as a great comparison but in just about every "shootout" in fly fishing gear, it quickly devolves into subjective opinion and deviation from the premise and standards.

By the end of reading through most things like this, I feel more like the whole thing was staged in an attempt to have "scientific evidence" that supports selling specific products. I'm sure the intentions are good, but it strikes me like a car lot sales experience.

I hear ya and somewhat agree. A lot of "rankings" are subjective. The other thing that differs between the lamson model was the exterior finish. At least it did...not sure about the new stuff as I haven't really looked for a reel in a while. I've been very happy with any lamson, Ross or hardy clicker I've ever purchased. The Galvan is well made but I've got a bias after having to swim for the spool twice. For me, the sealed drags make things all but maintenance / worry free. I had an olds SA system2 that would free spool when the cork drag got submerged. Not often you get bird nests in you fly reel.

If I can find them a decent click is what I prefer, who needs the disc for trout any how ?? even use click on steel anymore if I find a reel

Back