Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: 2 weight rod - Will I really ever use it??

oxygen stress to fish will probably result from a long fight with a big fish in warm water... short fights with small fish in colder water, as in brookie fishing with the 2 wt rod, arent really the circumstances that stress fish

Posted on: 2013/3/2 12:04

From West Chester, PA
nope

Posted on: 2013/3/2 15:13

From Central/Upstate New York (Clinton)
I disagree with the trips falling off shortly. My son and I have been fly fishing together since he was 4. I got him casting by himself and this summer he will turn 6 and all I have to do is tie the fly on for him. I expect by the middle of this summer he will be doing that himself. It takes great patients to teach a youngster fly fishing, but if it gets us away from mama for a few hours it is worth it to both of us. Ha Ha. I would keep the rod and let him use it in a few years.

Posted on: 2013/3/7 15:25

From York County
I use my #2 all the time. But I fish a lot of smaller streams too. They are great for brookie sized brown trout streams and for sunnies, redeyes and bluegills in small warmwater streams.

I typically know what type of fishing I plan on doin when I take it along. Small nymphs, small to medium sized dries and foam ants on small streams. I have no problem landing a typical trout under 14" with my 2 weight.

I can manage to cast some some larger nymphs but even the smallest weighted buggers is pushing it to the chuck and duck boundary, which I have no problem doing succesfully if I have to.

Roll casting is limited to small to medium sized nymphs say a 14 or smaller weighted. Any larger and I find the line can't always pick the weighted nymph from the subsurface of the water without some extra snap and perfect timing.

The drag alone from a marabou tail bugger hinders much success while roll casting and one must very carefully and slowly bring the rod back and bugger up to the absolute surface for the roll cast to carry through and the line to be able to turn the leader and bugger over.

Honestly I spook less trout and it really makes catching small to medium sized wild trout fishing much more exciting, although I have found myself using it when I should be using a #4 or #5 because I just like using it.

Posted on: 2013/3/8 13:13

From Eastern PA
Nope

Posted on: 2013/3/9 11:18

From Ferguson Twp.
Only you can tell.

Posted on: 2013/3/9 19:47

From Ferguson Twp.
If you got a good deal on it and don't miss the money keep it it's a great brookie/panfish rod.

Posted on: 2013/3/9 19:48

From Erie Co.
I use my 1 wt from June thru Nov. on non LE trib streams.
Once you go light you will not pick up a 3 wt.

Posted on: 2013/3/9 20:56

For fishing dries on valley creek, I think a lot of guys would catch more fish with a2w than a 5w. You don't need long casts, and it easier to avoid scaring the fish with a lighter line... I think that anyone willing to try casting a 2w like that ct overlined with a 3 would found it works great for this type of fishing..

Real world fishing on smallish streams is different from yard casting.. the 20-40 ft range where you catch fish looks like nothing in a yard, and there are no yard fish to spook with a heavier line than you really need.

Posted on: 2013/3/10 7:00

From Eastern PA
Quote:

k-bob wrote:
For fishing dries on valley creek, I think a lot of guys would catch more fish with a2w than a 5w. You don't need long casts, and it easier to avoid scaring the fish with a lighter line... I think that anyone willing to try casting a 2w like that ct overlined with a 3 would found it works great for this type of fishing..

Real world fishing on smallish streams is different from yard casting.. the 20-40 ft range where you catch fish looks like nothing in a yard, and there are no yard fish to spook with a heavier line than you really need.

A "2 wt" rod with a 3 weight line is a 3 weight. A 3 weight is minutely different from a 4 weight. Thus, use a 4 weight, which is the appropriate tool for the job, imo.

Posted on: 2013/3/10 19:38

JD: "A "2 wt" rod with a 3 weight line is a 3 weight."

It's an overlined 2 weight... by using a line heavier than the one the rod was rated for (the rod was rated to make a standard length cast with 2 weight line), it should cast better at the shorter ranges often needed on a small stream like valley.

JD "A 3 weight is minutely different from a 4 weight. Thus, use a 4 weight, which is the appropriate tool for the job, imo."

3 wt line weighs 20% less than 4w .. not a huge difference, but less weight is less likely to spook a lil' wild trout.

Posted on: 2013/3/10 20:46

From York County
For all of you saying nope, have you even owned a 2 weight ?

I have a 7'3" #2 and a 7'9" #4, both Tfo finesse series rods and there is a considerable difference between the two.

I wouldn't go to a small clear stream without my #2 since I've gotten used to having it. Honestly, for small, low clear streams and small dries and nymphs it is the absolute best rod I own. If I'm only casting 20-30 ft with size 16-18 hares ears, foam ant, griffiths gnat or whatever it is perfect. I don't catch overhanging branches and it hardly makes a ripple on the water.

For some of you who fish larger water I can agree this rod might be useless but for the smaller streams I like to visit it is the right tool.

Posted on: 2013/3/11 13:56

From Clinton County, Pa.
I know my 2 weight is by far my favorite rod for fishing the trico hatches.

Posted on: 2013/3/11 15:33

From Glenmoore PA
I also mainly use my 2wt for trico fishing, or midge fishing. I can nymph with it, but prefer the extra reach of my 5 wt.

Posted on: 2013/3/13 8:16

From Philadelphia PA
R U thinking of selling it? Give all the specs......

Posted on: 2013/3/13 13:00
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com