HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: 10 and 11ft rod question
From Chester County
Quote:

JeffK wrote:
IMHO, it is easier to control the drift with a longer rod. More line is off the water and it is easier to mend. I also like longer rods for "high sticking" dries - can keep more line off the water in pockets/conflicting currents and get a longer drift with a dry as well. Not as accurate casters - but OK when you get used to it. Also, not the right tool if you need to rocket a cast. Not great for streamer fishing either. All rods have good and bad characteristics and pick what you like to use. For example, on the Brodheads at the ball fields I can hit the eddies on the far bank with a 10' rod and get a good drift. It seems the best fish are 6" from the bank up there so the 10' rod works for me there. If I have too much line on the water up there the currents pull the fly out of the eddy in a heartbeat. Down on some of the big pools in the gorge I can't accurately reach the fish with my long rods and need a faster, better casting rod. Of course more lines on the water, but that doesn't matter as much on a big pool.

A better case for long rods is made in Leonard Wright's Fly Fishing Heresies.

Backto the weighting. The modern 10' rods are pretty light and I just generally use an older heavier reel,like a older JW Young reel, and it balances acceptably.

A lot of good points, above. One thing, try test casting a bunch of 10' rods, they are not all created equal. Some are very good for casting long and accurate.

Posted on: 2013/4/12 10:03

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com