10' 4 wt reel

F

fisherboy3

Just got a good deal on a Scott 10' 4 wt. i just need to get a reel and its a nymphing machine. Probably gonna use it on the D as well as a dry fly rod. If i get a decent reel i can do it. Any suggestions? Maybe a heavier reel to balance out the extra foot?

Also, anyone ever fish Hatch finatics? I wonder if they are actually worth the money.
Let me know.-Kev

You don't need a heavy reel for a nymphing stick for balance. It really is not needed. Trust me.....lighter is better. If you are planning on using it as an interchangeable dry fly/nymphing stick I would get an extra spool. Imo

I recently bought an LL Bean Streamlight Ultra #2 reel for my 10 foot 4 weight Helios. Very happy so far.
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/68709?feat=4378-GN3&page=streamlight-ultra-large-arbor-fly-reel

I use my 10' 4wt more than any other trout rod for both dry fly and nymphing. Also my favorite smallie rod is a 10' 7wt. The vast majority of my fishing, CW and WW is done with 10' rods.

I like to balance out my rods, especially for nymphing. To me, nothing is more tiring than fighting to hold up a tip heavy rod all day long.

You may want to consider adding some weight to the spool. The lead tape sold in golf stores works very well. Add just enough tape on the spool to balance out your rod and wrap the backing and line over it.

Thanks for the info. What reels do you guys have?

I use a Lamson Guru or a Galvin Torque depending on my intended use.

Back