1.5 size reel on 5 weight

Big-Bass

Big-Bass

Does anyone use a 1.5 sized reel for a 5 weight? I have a Ross Evo 1.5 that I would like to use on a 5 weight, but will the spool be sufficient to hold the line and backing? Anyone use a 1.5 rather than a size 2 on a 5 weight? It is rated for 3,4, and 5 weight lines. Thanks!

That reel will work fine in my opinion. Might not fit much backing on there but I don't expect you will need much.

Try using Gel Spun instead of dacron, you'll get some more backing on there.

since most people fish wf line, cut 10-15 feet of line off from where it attaches to your backing. then you will be able to put 50-75 feet of backing. if you need more backing then cut more floating line off. don't get wild on your first attempt as you can't go backwards.

i use a 2-3 wt reel with 6wt line on.

I think you'd be fine with however much 20lb dacron you can fit on a 1.5 Ross. I don't think I've ever been into my backing with a 5wt.

use WF instead of DT.

I have Evo LT 3 that I use on my 6 wt with 6 wt GPX (which we know is closer to a 7 wt line however for all intents and purposes the BIIIsx 6 wt is a 7 wt rod) and the line barely fits with minimal backing. Having said that, I used that rod almost exclusively in MT for 10 days, caught many very large and strong fish and never saw my backing. I would suggest you will be fine here as long as there is no major balance issue with the rod and reel, which is simply a matter of potential fatigue versus function. I am not sure if the original, non-LT Evo uses the same sizing convention.

I was thinking along the same line as jdaddy...rod balance issue more so than a backing capacity issue.

Back