Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 »

Re: woollybugger swap ever done?

From Pittsburgh, PA
Awesome, I'm gonna have to try to get in the next one.

Posted on: 2008/2/11 16:43

From North Catty
jpb,

This was my first fly swap and it has been very rewarding. I have only been tying for about 10 months now and I won't lie I was a bit nervous about tying for other enthusiasts, but it was easy and a lot of fun to get everyone else's patterns.

Bob

Posted on: 2008/2/11 20:31

From bucks cty
BTW here is my pattern for the Chilli Pepper woolly which comes from Woolly Wisdom by Gary Soucie.

Hook: Size 8 to 12 3x long streamer
Head: Brass bead sized to hook
Weight: 10 wraps of 0.025 lead wire
Thread: Fire Orange 6/0
Tail: Burnt Orange maribou with a few strands of copper Krystal Flash
Body: Copper tinsel chenille
Palmered Hackle: Furnace Hackle

Posted on: 2008/2/11 21:40

From Suburban Pittsburgh
The Chilli Pepper looks awesome, I've seen them online, but never had one. Can't wait to try it and tie some too.

I also like what I believe to be tomgamber's bugger. Interesting tail on that one. Looks like a variation of a wooly worm I tie, but with the flash tail instead.

Posted on: 2008/2/11 21:48

From Greensburg, PA
That's why I'm eager to see the pics and names together..I mean, I assume I know most of whats what but...

Posted on: 2008/2/11 21:54

From Pottstown, PA
Can't wait to see the other ties. I just hope the postage I included was enough. Quote:

tabasco_joe wrote:
Has there ever been woollybugger swap? Looks like Jack's site is temporarily off line so I couldn't check.

Posted on: 2008/2/11 23:39

From Emigrant, Mt
I hope my buggers are at the post office tomorrow, can't wait to see all of them. Thanks to all you guys.

Here is the material list.

Hook: Size 2 4x streamer

Large silver cone head. I epoxied them in place. Not at all necessary, I was experimenting some.

Tail: Black Marabou with a few strands of black Krystal Flash on each side.

Body: Black Chenille, or crystal. I had some stuff with a little bit of flash in it.

Hackle: Disco Yarn, palmered heavily and then trimmed. It is not necessary to tie in a rib as far as securing the "hackle" goes.

Collar: Big, webby grizzly hackle and then lots of red thread wraps. I made the red wraps that way to get some red in the fly.

Photobucket

Many of the big fish that we catch on the Yellowstone and Madison rivers are caught on big, any color, buggers. I really like black though. I very often tie mine real heavy. The flies for the swap are not weighted, except for the cone head.

A very effective way to fish these big buggers is to drop a soft hackle about 18" off it. Use the weight of the bugger to get that soft hackle down deep. Many, many big trout are caught not on the bugger, but on the soft hackle dropper. The big, heavy fly gets the soft hackle deep and when the line begins to tighten the soft hackle does the killer lift and swing.

This does work on Pa streams. The first time I fished this rig on Penns it was like night and day. Standard nymphing was working ok, but the method above worked so well that I gave my spot up to a few guys that were having trouble and rigged two of them up. They then went into the pool and slammed some fish.

Good luck. I will take all your buggers fishing and hopefully post some of the fish they caught. It may be warm enought to fish the Yellowstone this week, so I should get to break some in.

One more thought. The discussion about tippet size a while ago made me want to suggest using no smaller than 3x for this bugger. We chuck 'em with 1x and the fish do not care. I have seen guys loose their big flies just simply casting them with 4 or 5x. We use 1x on the bugger and 3x for the droppers. The hits on the droppers are often very hard.

Posted on: 2008/2/12 1:59

From bucks cty
Quote:

jaybo41 wrote:
The Chilli Pepper looks awesome, I've seen them online, but never had one. Can't wait to try it and tie some too.

I'm thinking that might work well on streams that have crawfish. I've been using that for a few months now but still have caught more on dark colors and even on the crystal ice bugger. Anyway it does look cool and fits with the "Tabasco" name.

Posted on: 2008/2/12 7:49

From bucks cty
Quote:

flybop wrote:
I hope my buggers are at the post office tomorrow, can't wait to see all of them. Thanks to all you guys.

Here is the material list.

Hook: Size 2 4x streamer

Large silver cone head. I epoxied them in place. Not at all necessary, I was experimenting some.

Tail: Black Marabou with a few strands of black Krystal Flash on each side.

Body: Black Chenille, or crystal. I had some stuff with a little bit of flash in it.

Hackle: Disco Yarn, palmered heavily and then trimmed. It is not necessary to tie in a rib as far as securing the "hackle" goes.

Collar: Big, webby grizzly hackle and then lots of red thread wraps. I made the red wraps that way to get some red in the fly.

Photobucket

Many of the big fish that we catch on the Yellowstone and Madison rivers are caught on big, any color, buggers. I really like black though. I very often tie mine real heavy. The flies for the swap are not weighted, except for the cone head.

A very effective way to fish these big buggers is to drop a soft hackle about 18" off it. Use the weight of the bugger to get that soft hackle down deep. Many, many big trout are caught not on the bugger, but on the soft hackle dropper. The big, heavy fly gets the soft hackle deep and when the line begins to tighten the soft hackle does the killer lift and swing.

This does work on Pa streams. The first time I fished this rig on Penns it was like night and day. Standard nymphing was working ok, but the method above worked so well that I gave my spot up to a few guys that were having trouble and rigged two of them up. They then went into the pool and slammed some fish.

Good luck. I will take all your buggers fishing and hopefully post some of the fish they caught. It may be warm enought to fish the Yellowstone this week, so I should get to break some in.

One more thought. The discussion about tippet size a while ago made me want to suggest using no smaller than 3x for this bugger. We chuck 'em with 1x and the fish do not care. I have seen guys loose their big flies just simply casting them with 4 or 5x. We use 1x on the bugger and 3x for the droppers. The hits on the droppers are often very hard.

I'm gonna tie some up and give em a try on Penns later this year. After I saw the picture you posted I was wondering if I had enough postage on the envolope. Prior to the swap I was planning on shortening my woolly list in the fly box but now I have many (too many?) interseting patterns to consider.

Posted on: 2008/2/12 7:53

From York, PA
I received my package today. Wow! really neat buggers.

This is just what I needed. In a couple days I'm going to purchase a quality rotating vice and some better tying stuff.

This winter cabin fever has me thinking like a crazy man! After Pads' last post, I was thinking of putting some fresh 2lb mono on my Ultra Light spin rod......... and using live minnows! LOL ....... not that that's a bad thing! But........ I would rather catch two trout with my self made flies and my long rod than catch fifty with my spin rod.

Some of these buggers really put my buggers to shame. I'll have to make a couple adjustments.

Question: What would you guys reccommend for a good rotating vice? If I have to spend a couple beans, so be it. I'll probably keep it for a long time.

Posted on: 2008/2/12 19:21

From North Catty
I bought a cheapy $25 vice and I love it. However I have never used a "Good" vice so I guess I don't really know.

for what its worth

Bob

Posted on: 2008/2/12 19:58

From Pottstown, PA
I played around with a lot of different rotary vises before geting my Renzetti Traveler. I suggest doing the same since your likes and dislikes may be far diffrent than mine or anyone else. I liked the Mongoose too, but the Traveler just worked better for me.

Posted on: 2008/2/12 20:02

From Emigrant, Mt
I have been a huge fan of the Nor Vise for many years. This vise does not just rotate, it spins. For tying buggers, big nymphs, streamers, just about anything the Nor really speeds up the process.

It is a bit different and there is a short learning curve, but Norm has some very good demos on his site and also on You tube. His auto-magic bobin is a blast too.

Posted on: 2008/2/13 3:08

From Monessen, PA
I finished the tentative draft of the Wooly Bugger Page:

2008 Wooly Bugger Swap

Please let me know if you see any errors, or if anyone was left out or if there need to be corrections.

It will take me a while to get this page and these flies integrated into the Master Index.

Posted on: 2008/2/16 18:41

-- Leo Tolstoy

From Harrisburg
Just to let you know, I was looking at the page and noticed that the recipe for my bugger was incorrect. I figure this is due to it just being a draft and things got mixed up

Hook: Size 8 streamer hook, 2xL,
Olive maribou, chenille and saddle hackle
silver bead

Posted on: 2008/2/18 7:09

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com