wool and alpaca dubbing??

fishingnoob

fishingnoob

Had a fellow coworker bring in some alpaca and wool samples from her farm. I asked if I could have some because I thought of the possibility of using it as a dry fly dubbing material since both wool and alpaca are good at wicking away water. Just checking to see if anyone has used either of these as a dubbing material and if they've had success with it. Any feedback is appreciated.

I have both types and they both work great. Alpaca is best for dry flies. It's actually one of my favorite dry fly dubbings. The wool I've used for just about everything, dries, nymphs, even some wets. The wool floats pretty well but it does benefit from some gink or other floatant because it will soak up water after a while but the alpaca is ideal for dry flies.

I have about 6 garbage bags full of alpaca dubbing. I bought a ton from a farm. More than I could use in a lifetime. Tan, rusty brown, chocolate, black, cream and grey.

^^All good colors.^^

Thanks for the feedback guys...I'll definitely let her know and try to get more alpaca in different colors

wool absorbs water, it keeps working to warm you though. once those materials are washed the essential oils are gone and they will absorb water. animal hair with oils left in will go rancid in time, reason all your natural dubbings are washed before they go to market. trust me you do NOT want to open a bag of wool or alpaca that has been enclosed in plastic for awhile that hasn't been washed...

I know that wool absorbs water, at least the stuff I have does but why do those wool strike indicators float so well? Is it a different type of wool or is it treated with floatant? Or is it just because it is loose and fluffy and traps air in it?

they are not wool but acrylic yarn which does not absorb water plus its treated too. at least the ones I see and have sold. Is there a certain brand you are using ?

"100% pure New Zealand wool is naturally buoyant and comes from specially bred sheep to produce a wiry texture to trap air. "

Never mind I answered my own question. So I guess when it's tightly dubbed it loses that quality.

I thought this was interesting about the properties of wool:

Re-Discover Wool!

Wool is the most incredible and unique fiber in existence! Wool has been used by humans for thousands of years – you might say it was the very first renewable resource. The microscopic structure of wool has evolved over thousands of years, and no synthetic fibers can come close to replicating it.

The Superb Qualities of Wool

Wool is 100% natural
Wool can absorb moisture of almost one-third of its own weight, yet repels liquids. Wool releases the moisture evenly.
Wool regulates temperature – both heat and cold.
Wool resists dirt and stains.
Wool resists mildew and mold.
Wool is naturally flame-resistant – it smolders, rather than bursting into flames or melting.
Wool is durable and lasts a very, very long time, and when it has served its purpose, it is completely biodegradable.
Wool fibers are crimped, which provides natural buoyancy, elasticity, resiliency and loft to make naturally comforting products.
A sheep produces a fleece of wool each year – once it is sheared, the wool regrows – a very renewable resource!

I have a hand knitted wool turtleneck sweater that I wear while fishing in the winter. Best piece of equipment I put on.

Back