Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

turkey feathers

As a beginner in fly tying was wondering what part of a turkey would I be able to use in tying fly's. I am also a hunter for ducks and deer. What parts of the feathers and hair would I use from them. Do you know of any websites that deals with this.

Posted on: 2012/4/22 19:38

Re: turkey feathers

From Ferguson Twp.
Lots of good feathers on a turkey, pretty much all of them. Tail feathers for wing cases, the feathers called turkey flats are good for posts on parachutes at the base of tail, lots of marabou feathers to use as well. Body feathers good for legs, w/the tail you can also make a whole nymph body. Far as ducks go pretty much all of them,the oil gland feathers (CDC) at the base of the tail are great for any number of uses, flank feathers for wings on dries, flight feathers for wings on old school wets. And deer hair wow where do you start it's countless. This is just skimming the surface, I'm sure you'll get much, much more info on this for the number of tyers here with so many different ideas and uses for these things is almost endless.

Posted on: 2012/4/22 19:51

From Portage, PA
I tie a turkey nymph pattern the same as a pheasant tail.

Posted on: 2012/5/9 7:22

From Gettysburg
Bugaboo,
What they said.

Regarding deer: save the tails for streamers and other hairwing applications. For clipped hair type flies, a strip of hide from the backstrap region will provide good fur for these types of flies where you want hollow hair that "flairs" when cinched down.

Posted on: 2012/5/9 10:50

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com