thunderhead

R

reds

Anybody know the recipe for a thunderhead? A picture would be nice.

That fly looks very similar to an Ausable Wulff

I believe there is a thunderhead streamer out there too. Perhaps you mean that? I went on a half-hearted, unsuccessful trip through the interwebs to find one before.

Only thing I found was thunderhead smelt. I might be wrong but I think thunderhead is the way the bucktail is tied in. You tie down the butt ends near the eye and then bend them back. Then wrap the thread a few eye lengths back from the eye to hold the hair in place. Quite a few streamers are tied in this style.

live2fish wrote:
I might be wrong but I think thunderhead is the way the bucktail is tied in. You tie down the butt ends near the eye and then bend them back. Then wrap the thread a few eye lengths back from the eye to hold the hair in place. Quite a few streamers are tied in this style.

Could be wrong, but I think that is the Thunder Creek series tying style...but the name could have just mutaded as well.

In the Smokies, there is a major tributary to the Little River known as "Thunderhead Prong" and that is where the name for the fly I posted comes from, I believe, and I agree it doesn't seem to be anything more than a March Brown tied in the Wulff style.

Check out this link for tying instructions:
http://smokymountainflyguide.com/tutorials_flytying.htm/thunderhead%20dry%20fly.htm

I use this fly here in SEPA on wild trout as a searching pattern, floats well!

Back