soft-hackle assortment

turkey

turkey

I've been on a big soft-hackle kick for a couple months now. They're quick, easy, and catch fish. Thought I'd post a few. I even threw a wet in there too.

Attachments

• softies (640x640).jpg
    softies (640x640).jpg
    311.6 KB · Views: 6
Those are definitely fish catchers!!

Gorgeous. I'm pretty addicted to soft/traditional wets, so fun to tie up and very rewarding when you make that hook up out on the water.

Very cool! Those will definitely take some fish. I've been on that same kick, myself. I don't know how I fished without them, for all these years. lol.

Try some yellow-and-(partridge/grouse), too.

If you use floss, it'll take ont he colour of the underbody thread. I got some pretty interesting colours out of yellow floss over fire orange thread, which I think really invoked the sulphur's colors this year.

I also like a little thorax of white ice dubbing behind the hackle. Looks like a gas bubble or something.

Gfen that thorax with the ice dub is a great idea. Thinking about as I type this a small amount of antron would probably work well too.

gfen wrote:
I also like a little thorax of white ice dubbing behind the hackle. Looks like a gas bubble or something.

Thats a great idea. I actually have some white ice dub in the bin. I'm gonna wrap up some yellow over orange bodies too. My floss work is still shakey but I'm getting smoother results. I occasionally use that Uni-Stretch but I don't think that its translucent and I kind of feel like I'm cheating.

Persall's sil will do it too, but I usually just use the cheap rayon four strand (which I hate) or single strand floss.

I've been using the ice dub on them too. It works great! White, peacock, black, tan and yellow have all worked well. I tied a green drake soft hackle, with tan ice (thorax) and it worked excellent!

Back