• sculpin - tan (bottom).jpg
    sculpin - tan (bottom).jpg
    660.2 KB · Views: 1
sculpin

Attachments

• lou's sculpin 020.JPG
    lou's sculpin 020.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 1
What make and what size hook ? what size and color thread ?
What size eyes ?
What is the tail ?
What is the body ?
What are the fins made from ?
What length and line are you using ?
What color fly line are you using ?
Floating or sinking line ,or sink tip ?
What make and what size reel ?
Do you wind with your right or left hand ?
How long and what size is yor leader when you fish this sculpin?
Do you use and indicator ?
What make and model rod do you use ?
How many piece rod is it and what color ?

and - why do you tie with your vise upside down?

gutcutter
Good question !!!!
Maybe that is what I am doing wrong lol

I can't answer for Lou, but I'm guessing the vise if upsidedown because the fly is meant to ride hook up.

Placing the hook in the vise upsidedown sometimes is awkward to get materials in...so...place the hook in normally and spin the vise. Sometimes it holds the hook differently.

LouM,

Have you noticed any difference in hook-up ratio with the hook riding point up? I'm aware the fly would be somewhat more weedless...

Bam:
I don't know wether there is a difference in hookups with the hook riding up, but this fly is heavy so it bounces on the bottom and gets less snags. When a Trout hits a sculpin or other baitfish, it hits it first to stun it before taking it. I attribute a lot of the misses I get to this behavior. That said I have had good results with this fly,taking trout up to 24".

mkern
it was a joke...
i'm sure beadhead got it
did you?

what no smilies?

:p

I should tie a few of my streamers that way for smaller/slower streams. Most of my streamer fishing is done on larger water and I can't get them to sink fast enough so I never bothered with it...

heavily weighted streamers on slow water = lost flies - even if the point is riding up.
quartering upstream cast with a few upstream mends in fast water and quartering downstream casts with upstream mends on slower water gets your unweighted fly in the zone.
sculpins tend to ride the bottom more than dace or darters and an inverted hook style is a great option for them.

Tying them unweighted and using a sink tip or full sink is a better option for me.

Darters and sculpin both stay on the bottom, Dace do not.

johnny darters show the [color=CC3333]bottom-dwelling[/color] and darting movement typical of other darters. They are sight-feeders, as are other darters. Johnny darters eat zooplankton, midge larvae, mayflies, caddis larvae and other small insects, worms and small snails. The males grow faster than females after the first year. Where they are present, they are a food source for other fishes.

Tesselated” refers to the fish’s having a mosaic-like or checkered pattern. The tesselated darter’s coloration is pale-sandy, fading to white on the bottom. The back and upper sides of the tesselated darter have nine to 11 pronounced, small X-shaped or W-shaped marks. This species, like the johnny darter, has a single anal fin spine. Other darters in Pennsylvania have two anal fin spines. The mouth is positioned low and is horizontal. The mouth ends below the front of the eye.

Tesselated darter breeding adults develop 12 or 13 vertical bars on the sides, while losing the X-shaped and W-shaped markings. The upper side scales become wholly outlined in a dark color. The fin membranes, except those of the pectoral fins, grow dark with lighter tips on the pelvic and pectoral fins. In this phase, tesselated darters are sometimes mistaken for small yellow perch. Tesselated darters reach a length of about 3 1/2 inches.

Habitat: The tesselated darter prefers the quieter portions of sandy or mud-bottomed flowing water or still water, except in the breeding season.

look in the slower back waters on the bottom you'll see them "darting" around the bottom rocks and sand. trout love them and a good darter pattern works well.

Attachments

• flies 085.jpg
    flies 085.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 1
  • tessdarm350.jpg
    tessdarm350.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 2
Gee Bob They look like a copy of someones pattern,I wonder who?

bottom one isn't, top one is taken from your sculpin.

Shame on you Bob ,stealing another persons pattern ,do you have no shame !!!!!!!!!!!

sandfly wrote:
bottom one isn't, top one is taken from your sculpin.

Lou's requires a half pound of lead. Are you sure you have that much on the top tie?

Back