saddle hackle

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

is this saddle for dries or streamers... or can it be both. I need to upgrade my dry feathers and checking out some sales.

Metz at Cabela's

that saddle can be used for dries , it is more dense than neck hackle which is cheaper and mostly used for streamers or hen hackle for streamers too. not sure but that looks like a 1/2 saddle which about 20.00 is normal but its hard to tell exactly how big it is in the pic

I stopped out at International angler last week. They have some nice necks and saddles and price is very comparable (or should I say reasonable) for the hackle. I picked up a Whiting bronze neck for $40 they are about $60 in cabelas catalog. They have a few silver for @$60. Just a heads up. It is also better to check out the necks vs mail order too.
The one I purchased has some nice tailing and small

very true about looking at them in person , a local sporting goods store has grade 2-3 for arround 30 $

I'm not a big fan of buying Metz saddles sight unseen. I've got burned quite a few times on Metz saddles. I just pulled out a #2 Micro-Barb that I bought from a well respected supplier right here in Pa 3 years ago. Junk. Barbs shorter on one side than the other, thick stems that twist. I could never use these on customer flies. I know the shop would have made good, but then I have another $5 tied up in shipping. I have a few other Metz necks that I'm not happy with. No more.

My best experiences deal with #2 Charley Collins necks and saddles. I call Charley, tell him exactly what I need and what I need it for, and he comes through each and every time. I got 2 fantastic saddles from his specials box from Somerset show for $25. Best of all, for about the same price as you'll pay for another brand of neck, you can get both the neck and saddle for about the same price. His variants are excellent as are his commercial packages.

Collins Hackle Farm
436 Kinner Hill Rd.
Pine City, NY 14871
(607) 734-1765

In my experience a regular Metz # 2 Saddle (as opposed to a micro saddle) is loaded with 12s and 10s, but not many 14s, and no 16s or smaller. The barbs tend to run a little softer than on a neck. If you are looking for dry fly hackle you will be disappointed.

And those prices look average at best even at the sale price.

This is based on my cache of hackle, but I haven't bought any in 8-9 years. Maybe things have changed, but I doubt it. Except the prices, which are much higher--absurdly so.

For dry hackle I would go with what Festus has suggested if I was in the market.

i thought sadle hackle was stiffer than neck hackle , i bought 2-3 metz saddles lately and they have 14 & 16 & even 18 sizes in them , the longer bigger feathers i use the barbs for tails , no biggy, obviously if u want the most useable feather buy silver grade capes or masters grade but they are 85 dollars too so .....

Thanks for the help guys!

Back