quigley fly question?

joeypm

joeypm

In tying a quigley cripple how do you keep the deer hair out of the eye of the hook and should that hair stick out over the eye.

It seems when I end up tying off the head the deer hair flairs upwards rather then out over the eye of the hook. Will this make a big differance in the fly?

Thanks,

Odds are, you're using comparadun style hair, which is hollow. Since it's hollow, it tends to flare when lashed to the hook. I would try to find a more dense hair to use for this application.

Either way, no, it doesn't really matter much to the fish.

I thought all deer hair was hollow? but yes you are correct im using costal deer hair thin as in comparadun style hair. I looked up the quigley style of tying online and it does seem to call for hollow deer hair to make the front of the fly float while the tail/shuck section sinks? thanks for your comment and help

Hi Joey - one trick you can use is to take a wrap or two of thread around that deer hair before tying it on. If you build a little thread bump on the shank before tying it in, it will act as a fulcrum, and tip the clump up, giving eye clearance.

This is easier than it sounds - you'll catch on quick on Saturday. I'll bring some brown marabou for you also. The shop should also have some you can buy. Brown marabou is also useful for buggers and lots of other stuff, so it won't go to waste.

Back