quail or grouse

mike_richardson

mike_richardson

Anyone have any examples of quail or grouse patterns. I have a tail from a grouse and a buddy with a cuvey of quail. I thought i saw some cool salmon flies with quail but not sure. Any pics would be appreciated. Also what feathers to pluck would help too. LOL

The grouse tail will not offer much. Maybe tailing materials for nymphs. The quail, assuming it is a whole skin, however, will offer a lot. Everything from mini marabou plumes to soft hackles.

Las summer I had a grouse fly right into the side of our cabin and died of course. I love to tie with the feathers and I use the tail feathers for nymph tailing but I am sure if you use your imagination you can use them for other things also. Now that my curiosity is peaked i think I will look them over today in the shop and see what I can come up with. I will let you know If I have a brain fart and find another use for them.

The best Breadcrust pattern ever uses grouse tail. Splitting it can be tedious and you need to soak em but they are awesome! Do a search.

i love grouse and quail!!

FishingCreekEmerger wrote:
The best Breadcrust pattern ever uses grouse tail. Splitting it can be tedious and you need to soak em but they are awesome! Do a search.

+1

The Breadcrust nymph pattern was first tied in NE PA. Great fishing catching fly. I believe it imitates a cased caddis. Tying some will put your grouse tail to good use.

Here's a link to the recipe and instructions for tying:

http://flyanglersonline.com/flytying/fotw2/082806fotw.php

wow,that's a great link!!

Also a little history lesson. The sentiwanys owned AA Outfitters in White Haven PA. Wonderful ppl who guided the lehigh and other NEPA waters. They also employed a guide some years ago that is kind of popular today. Anyone care to guess who??? Ok i will tell. Doug McKnight, creator of many new patterns including the home invader, crimp, and Sasquatch to name a few.

FishingCreekEmerger wrote:
Also a little history lesson. The sentiwanys owned AA Outfitters in White Haven PA. Wonderful ppl who guided the lehigh and other NEPA waters. They also employed a guide some years ago that is kind of popular today. Anyone care to guess who??? Ok i will tell. Doug McKnight, creator of many new patterns including the home invader, crimp, and Sasquatch to name a few.

I learned an awful lot about FFing in my early days from Bob and Mary Lou Sentiwany. They were good people. Tim Murphy and his brother used to hang around the shop (and chase customers away). ;-)

Last I heard, Bob was living with his son in the Upper Delaware River area.

The murphy brothers lmao! Mary Lou was a hell of a tier too. Yes i heard he is doing well. I personally haven't seen him in 20 years.

Back