parachute bwo

E

Earthdog

I am just back to fishing(see Hiatus-in gen)
Does anybody ty a parachute BWO ? If so what size hook ? materials etc.
I live in south central pa near muddy creek.
Thank You in advance.

Man, there is Sooooo many different ways and materials to tie parachute BWO's. Such I just picked up the "Magic Tool", am going to tie a bunch with Cdc. Here is a video............BWO Parachute

That was a cool video
Thanks

becker i read your blog and could not figure out how the tool worked. granted, i didnt look for any videos either...but thats pretty cool.

Reason being Jay, I have not used it! Been really busy with classes. Will get some flies up this weekend, such the streams will be blown. Also, I got a camera to take underwater shots two weeks ago, and have not been able to use it! This weather is killing me.

I usually tie them in what I think is fair to call the AK Best style with a quill or biot body and turkey flat post. I replace the turkey flat with calf body hair on #20 and smaller. I just posted this fly and pattern for a contest on another board, and it is the pattern I'll be using at the tying jam next week. Nothing terribly original, but it works despite the lack of CDC (Just kidding). I usually tie them in size 16-20, mostly 18 and 20s.

Quill bodied BWO parachute (materials in tying order)
Hook: TMC BL100 #20
Thread: Griffith 14/0 olive
Tail: Coq De Leon
Abdomen: BWO dyed quill
Hackle: Rusty barred dun sized to #18
Thorax: Olive snowshoe and natural hares mask dubbing blend
QuillParachute.JPG

nice tie FT! I also like to use turkey flats for the post, but I will all so use the natural wild turkey dark ones. I think most BWO's have a dark wing and it is really distinctive. When I watch the duns floating, it is the first thing I notice. They look like little sailboats. My opinion of course, so take it for what its worth. The white is way easier track while on the water.

ParaPost makes a great wing material for a Parachute BWO.

Attachments

• DSC_0248.jpg
    DSC_0248.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 2
Do any of you guys find that the color of the post makes a difference? Say if I want to use orange?

Out of curiosity, why would you want to use orange?

Knowledge bomb....

Blaze orange is far from the most visible color in the spectrum. In reality, white is indeed your best choice since it reflects the most light.

However in low light conditions the higher and lower ends of the visible light spectrum begin to roll off (Red on the low end and Violet on the high end) in a phenomena called Scotopic Vision. So during low light conditions your eye is more sensitive to limey green hues (which is why night vision goggles are that color).

So if you want to make some 'hi vis' posts, get some green antron.

wsender wrote:
Knowledge bomb....

Blaze orange is far from the most visible color in the spectrum. In reality, white is indeed your best choice since it reflects the most light.

However in low light conditions the higher and lower ends of the visible light spectrum begin to roll off (Red on the low end and Violet on the high end) in a phenomena called Scotopic Vision. So during low light conditions your eye is more sensitive to limey green hues (which is why night vision goggles are that color).

So if you want to make some 'hi vis' posts, get some green antron.

Visibility, that's why people use orange. Not saying they're right. I don't use it, but mostly because I think it looks silly... Thanks for the knowledge.

Supposedly - the first thing a trout sees as the fly comes into it's window, is the wing. And I think that using a brightly colored wing post could cause refusals.

I've also used crowe beetles with bright orange indicators tied in, and got refusals on them. And then, after clipping the indicator off - started to catch them

White is more visible than Orange, but white blends in with bubbles and other insects. I prefer bright pink for parachute posts, but am definitely going to try green.

I was just using orange as an example. Was wondering if color posts seemed to make a difference to the fish. Thanks for the color explanations.

In my experience, the color posts rarely make a difference to the fish. They can and do occasionally, but usually not.

post color depends on weather you are in the all dry flies need wings because the fish see wings or if you are in the sillouette only catagory. personally i go with white post for the purpose of if the fly lands upside down(yea it happens sometimes) you have a size 14 grey colored adams with a bright orange yellow pink dot in the middle of its back. that being said when i tie for my dad i always use a blaze orange . reasons one he has poor eyesight two he is partially color blind. does he still manage to catch fish yea . does he catch less then i do on a given day no. is he a better fishermen then i am probably . in the end its your choice just like if your going to use the "right" wings on a standard dry

jayL wrote:
White is more visible than Orange, but white blends in with bubbles and other insects. I prefer bright pink for parachute posts, but am definitely going to try green.

oh,and make sure you tie some with black posts for really bright days, the "hi-viz" posts do not show up well in glare, but black does...

Back