Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

one to try-leech

Don't know how good it would be in Pa. but was a great fly in Montana For night or dusk and dawn fishing on clear streams with gravel bottoms-fished as streamer,right on bottom.
Size 10 or 12 hook 2x heavy.
lead wire underbody
no tail
silver tinsel body.
3 inch piece of leech yarn[Barlows] either brown,black.tied in at head as wing.
No simpler fly but give it a try-fished so that it drifts along bottom with current giving the action.Cast across and slightly down stream,how far depending on depth-roll slack into line so fly sinks to bottom layer and just as it starts to swing around it will be in strike zone.
The leech yarn has a beautiful pulsating action in the water.

Posted on: 2007/9/6 12:34

Re: one to try-leech

From Suburban Pittsburgh
Sounds like you had some great experiences with this, very cool! By chance do you have a photo to go along with it? Sounds like a simple tie, but photos go a long way

Posted on: 2007/9/6 12:39

Sorry-I never took pictures and gave everything away.
I was going to comeback and say
Actually you use a 2 inch piece being careful to pull the hair back so that only the thread is cut.The hairs will flow back in water making it about 3 inches.
Its as simple as it sounds-can't go wrong.
Fished at the right time,right way and fish around its as reliable as any fly.

Posted on: 2007/9/6 12:50

Guest_
Pete:
I'm even going to admit, that; "I'm probably dead wrong, in saying this, even before I say it"!(mainly, because I haven't seen a picture of the actual fly you're describing), But, I've run across this fly, or one very similar to it; several times while fishing Montana.
My fishing partner and I, have seen mostly locals using it and not only on the type water you describe, but also on the Bitterroot, a few times, during high water and twice on the St.Regis, under the same conditions.
It was almost always tied, however, with GOLD tinsel and a single,brown or black, rabbit strip!?!(about 3" long). We did run across, one, tied with silver and another, tied "barber pole style" with gold/silver tinsel!
When we asked about the fly, (being SO simple a tie, we couldn't help, but be curious about it!),Bishop and I were given various names........... "Montana Nightcrawler", "Strip Leech ", and one name given to us by a guide we'd met, which was the weirdest of all........... "Smith's Dancing Leech"!??!
Don't have a CLUE who "Smith" is, and neither did this guide!?! And, as for "dancing"..................well, tumbling along the bottom of a stream/river, in a dead drift.........I wouldn't really refer to as "dancing" anything!?!

Posted on: 2007/9/9 12:15

Its a deadly fly but I don't think body matters.
My knock against rabbit fur is it will wrap around hook bend-bad news,especially at nite.
the leech yarn doesn't.
I am sure we all came up with our own version but something that simple has no creator although some would claim it.lol

Posted on: 2007/9/9 17:38

I should have noted,again-this is a fabulous clear water nite fly-probably the best non-spawning time one you can find.

Posted on: 2007/9/9 17:49

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes
No
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com