HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: odd color tying materials
From Dallastown, PA
Quote:

troutbert wrote:
You don't need that Hares Ear mask. Everyone uses dubbing blends these days. (You can send it me, I'll take it off your hands. )

Translation....Chocolate hares ears rule!

Seriously, So far I agree with everything everyone has said. I believe the Peacock in the first pic is Ostrich Herl. Very fragile material used as the head on the Casual dress. Could also be used for lateral lines on hair flies (clousers, thunder creeks, bucktaols, etc.)

I also like Jacks and Jay's ideas for the hi vis wings on some of your mayflies. if ya don't liek the results of these flies, try dying them as troutbert said. Those bright colors dipped in a green rit dye could "dumb down" the visibility and make great flanks for grey ghost streamers or sculpin immitations.

The colorful hair/bucktail has to go the way of clousers and deceivers or Thundercreeks. Just put it between a white belly and a brown/green/black top and they could fit a numbers of attractor streamers. (mickey fins are not exactly earthtone streamers)

You have some neat stuff to put on a shelf or hang on a peg board so you don't forget about it but I wouldn't labor over trying to make it fit all your tying needs. Figure out the flies you want to tie for your style of fishing and buy those materails. Once you get a little more proficient with following patterns your memory will draw you to those obscure colors as good alternatives to the standard materails and colors.

You will find that the "neons" will work early in the season and during high water conditions fished in seams where the trouts take refuge fron the strong currents.

Have fun with them and good luck.

Thanks for posting the pics.

Posted on: 2007/1/24 13:33

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
Thanks for all the help guys! Last night had time to tie a few... tied a nice streamer and used the hares mask to dub for a caddis. I'm runnin out of hooks from my starter set. Guess thats a good thing untill I actually do run out. Well any more suggestions would be great but you guys have been awesome so far. Can't wait for this snow to break so I can try out my new creations!

Posted on: 2007/1/26 11:13

From Greensburg, PA
That ostrich herl makes great heads on caddis larva.. Just few turns behind the the head. With a hares ear body and a little green or cream dubbing behind the herl.

Posted on: 2007/1/26 12:21

I would love to tie some caddis larva for my local streams. I found this pic and brief description of how to tie one, but frankly it looks a little too complicated for me yet. If anyone could give me an easier description and maybe a pic of how to tie one... be mindfull i'm still new at this and have limited resources.

http://flytyingforum.com/index.php?act=flyshow&showid=3980

Posted on: 2007/1/26 14:53

From Greensburg, PA
http://www.familytyes.com/artman/publish/article_16.shtml

try this one...just use the ostrich instead fo the black dubbing in the recipe. BTW I couln't open your other link.

Posted on: 2007/1/26 16:02

From Bozeman
tom,
his link gives php errors at first, but it eventually loads. you have to scroll down a bit.

As far as that fly, ryguy... I don't think I could tie it. The whole point of using herl and throats on these flies is to give a durable, easy to tie leg imitation. The fly that tom links to looks much more like the ones that i'd try to tie.

Posted on: 2007/1/27 11:04

From Southeast PA
Jay's right, ryguy. Very few people tie flys like the one in your link. They are more for display than for fishing. Flies like the one in Tomgamber's link are what most of us tie and use.

Posted on: 2007/1/28 14:11

Thanks alot guys. I tied a caddis larva the other night that turned out pretty decent... think i needed a little more light dubbing for the middle but not half bad. Yeah I was curious about that nymph i posted. Seems like too much effort to me to have it stuck in the nearest tree. Especially for being a novice tier. Going back to my original post, I dyed some of the goose biot black to tie some stonefly nymphs and they were ok. and used some of the bright colors I got to tie some midges and buggers. Almost February... getting closer to opening day!

Posted on: 2007/1/29 12:00

From Bozeman
I went fishing 7 or 8 times in january. I caught everything from fat browns to 3 inch long brookies.

In other words, why wait until opening day!?!

Take some of your buggers, nymphs, and midges to a stream and give em a try now! You'll probably have the best water to yourself...

Good luck

Posted on: 2007/1/29 12:34

Newly married, starting a new job and not having much success, living in western pa and not having many trout streams locally and the snowfall in the past week have deterred my fishing... However when the weather breaks a bit I plan on hitting a stream with some naturals in it about 45 min away. Thanks for the insight though... i'm ready to try some new spots this year! 20"+ fish is my goal this year!

Posted on: 2007/1/29 14:10

From Bozeman
Good for you. I think I may take my college student with no real responsibility status for granted occasionally.

Regardless, good luck with the 20". It took me a few years to reach that goal around here (too poor to travel to places where they are abuntant). Got him last spring on a red san juan worm.... was a stocker but I don't care... He was getting pounded by fisherman for hours before I managed to succeed. It felt good.

My goal's a 20"+ fish on a dry fly.... though I love fishing so much that I wouldn't mind if I never meet it. (I will though, damnit!). I've hooked a few that might have gone 20"+ but lost them well into the backing.

Posted on: 2007/1/29 14:23

From Greensburg, PA
BTW I started tying that peeking caddis pattern esecially for winter fishing. I do better with that pattern in the late winter and very early spring than any other.

Posted on: 2007/1/29 20:01

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com