nymphs?

bjshaffr

bjshaffr

If you could pick only 3 nymphs or other wet flies to keep in you box and you had to throw the rest away what would they be and why?

BHPT, GRHE, small olive wooly bugger. Why? Because they take fish consistently.

I'll skip the bugger and replace it with caddis larva patterns.

Buggy tied BH hares ear, BHPT with a turn of partridge, and walt's worm on a scud hook.

I didn't count a bugger as a nymph. If you want me to... well then I have some tough decisions to make, because it's gotta be included.

If its strictly nymphs, not buggers or pupae (caddis or midge), then its GRHE in olive, natural and black...If that counts as only one then add PT and an Iso, swimming type nymph.

Actually its a silly question for me because I bet I have no less then 30 different kind of nymphs in my box and I hardly use any.

I literally use anything small and black in the spring and various colors and sizes of Hare's ears for everything else. I'm just as happy fishing a bugger in every fashion imaginable when nothing is rising.

PT, Olive Caddis Larva, and Peacock Herl Midge Larva.

This is the tandem I fish with half the time anyway.

Mkern,

How do you tie the peacock herl midge larva?

Jay,

Strip the stuff off and use the quill/stem. (I guess it was kinda vague).

For a "thorax" area I either use peacock or ostrich.

Cool. I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

here ya go Jay...I have used stripped peacock when I run out of other quills for dries and spinners as well.

Peacock Midge
Hook TMC 5212, Mustad 94831 #10-16
Thread white 6/0 prewaxed
Rib fine copper wire
Body stripped peacock herl
Thorax peacock herl
Head white ostrich herl

Attachments

• Peacock Midge.jpg
    Peacock Midge.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 1
Gold ribbed hares ear in many colors and sizes, prince nymph, and.... don't know... I have atleast one of those on my line, if not both almost 100% of the time when nymphing.

nice little pattern there tom... I may tie some of those up in sz 20 and 22 for the midge hatch up this way next week.

I had to look up the pic and the recipe. I used it in lakes in Idaho from the float tube. I didn't bother with the wire though. Peacock seems to have a whitish edge that gives it good segmentation. Its plenty durable with a little flexi- or head cement.

If I had to pick three, they would be:

Hare's Ear - Only because I could go without having Pheasant Tails by tying the HEs with a darker Hare's Ear Dubbing

Caddis Larva - Simple to tie, abundant in many streams, and can be heavily weighted while maintaining a good fly shape/profile. I like them in insect green, light olive, and cream. I put a pinch of UV Ice dub into the dubbing mix for sparkle.

Princes - Have't done well with them until recently, but I'm starting to like them in larger sizes (#8/#10/#12) - Fish will eat them :). I've been tying mine with lots of weight, which helps to sink a tandem with them down into the strike zone easily.

To be sure, you don't need to have dozens of patterns, but I like several other patterns that fell just short of the cut. Are you sure I can only have three? :p

Pheasant tail, Walts Worm (covers scud and caddis fair enough), and a big stonefly nymph of some sort.

I consider buggers to be streamers. I fish a lot of egg flies, but I dont' consider them nymphs either.

I don't think a PT looks anything like a scud or caddis in any form. I also think Walt's worm is a pellet fly. It looks like a turd.

I think what PC is saying is that just the WW covers the scuds and caddis. I'd throw cress bugs, cranefly larvae, and a ton of others into that camp as well. The WW is the ultimate general imitator IMO.

It's just a hare's ear without all the extra stuff.

A large brown stonefly
A Pheasant Tail type nymph in size #14
Cress bug #16

Back