looking for a new vise (on a budget)

bjshaffr

bjshaffr

Looking to buy a new vise...looking for some recommendations or if someone has one they are looking to sell...The one I have I have had for a while but is poor quality I probably paid $25.00 for it. It is starting to fall apart and I have to reposition the hook while I'm tying a couple time cause it loosens up. I want to get a better quality vise and don't want to spend a ton of money. Any suggestions on brand and or model?

Whats your price range? I'm in the same market as you...

Whats your price range? under 100? under 200?

Like to stay under $150-200.

Well.. in that range
Renzetti Traveler 189.95
Griffin Montana Mongoose 199.95
Griffin Blackfoot Mongoose 145.00
Anvil Atlas 149.99
I have the Renzetti, and love it.. but all of the above mention vises will last you a long time.. The anvil is probably the best buy. Lifetime warranty and practically indestructible

How is the rubberband on yours? I have heard stories of them getting dry rotted and breaking. Heres a pic for reference to those who dont know what im talking about. The blue thing

ZVI-REN-VISE-TRV-PEDL-SSTE.jpg

What exactly does the rubber band do? Mine is pretty basic so I don't know a lot about them...also what is that little arm in the front for?

Not sure exactly what the rubberband does but the lever closes the vise. See, its a rotary vise, so the little end piece is what clamps, and whatnot. All the other stuff is knobs that make it turn and rotate

Sorry not that...the silver arm with the black piece on the end that is attached by the base.

Its called a bobbin rest, when you use the rotary correctly you plac a half hith on the hook shaft and lay the tread with the bobbin over the rest. it must be set in line with the shank. then you wrap useing the handle on the vice. after wrapping the material you take the bobbin off of the rest and continue tying. lots of steps to use a renzetti correctly. I like the Anvil's myself, though I have a renzetti too (worn out) the anvils come with the "C" clamp and pedastal bases.

The Renzetti Traveler is a great vise used by many tyers for many years. Check these threads for more info:

http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=264&forum=5&post_id=1142#forumpost1142

http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=11530&forum=5&post_id=142286#forumpost142286

FWIW, when I decided to buy a nice vise, I spent $80 and bought the Griffith Odyessy Spider. I hemmed and hawed over a vise with the rubber O ring to close it, and in the end decided that was better than a spring.

Why? Because should the spring snap, I'm up the creek trying to find a new one. I'm sure the maker can send me a new one, but on the other hand, if the O ring should break any home improvement store on the planet, or autoparts store, and maybe even larger sprawlmarts will sell me an O ring in the plumbing section for a fraction of the shipping that spring will require.

That said, I wish I had bought a Regal with a turnable head. Not the "true rotorary," neccessarily, but the ability to turn the fly over to inspect from all angles.

My $80 Griffith is going somewhere into year two. It works well enough I have no need to replace it. When I do, its a Regal though.

But the real moral of this post: Don't fear the O ring, embrace it.

Native - FWIW, the little blue o-ring on the Renzetti holds the jaws open. The blue ones are silicone rubber and are supposed to last longer than the old rubber o-rings (they were black). It's really no big deal, since you can buy them at Home Depot for 19 cents, and they last for years.

I've tied thousands of flies on my Renzetti, and it's still my favorite vise.

I agree with Heritage Ed. From the link I posted, here's what I wrote:

"I've tied many thousands of flies with my Renzetti Traveler, from midges to bass bugs, and it works the same as the day I bought it. (over 15years ago). It was one of the best FFing related purchase I have ever made."

Still true right now.

Thats good to know.

What about this? I have been meaning to ask about this vise...

The Nor-Vise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39xvJCfd4Js&feature=related

Nor - Vise: love 'em or hate 'em. It has it's advantages (price isn't one of them), especially for production tiers.

I'm in the hate 'em camp. Too much hassle for me, but if I had to tie for a living, I'd be whistling a different tune. Once you get it set up, you can really crank out the flies.

It seems like a cool idea, but unless I had a bunch of extra money and another vise, I wouldnt get it

nah, i haven't had the Renzetti for too terribly long.. So, mine hasn't dry rotted.

I've personally always been partial to Griffin vises, they are a great quality item for the price, plus I just prefer the screw adjustable and screw-locking jaws.

Peak rotary. I bought one last fall after doing a lot of looking and absolutely love it. I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a vise under $200.

Back