Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: late winter/spring flies

From LV
Baetis and stoneflies.

Posted on: 1/24 21:26

From SE Pa
So I can tie bwo's without wings and they will work? No wings it is then.

Posted on: 1/25 1:09

From Hershey
One word of caution when tying dries without wing tips. The fly must be balanced properly and have the correct size of hackle. If this isn't done properly the fly will not land on the water hook down.
After tying my hackled flies I flip them up in the air and make sure they land hook down on the tying desk. If not a few longer hackles cut out from the bottom usually fixes this.
This is yet another reason to tie with CDC, This is almost never a problem with them.

Posted on: 1/25 6:19

From Hershey
Additionally a comparadun would be a quick dry fly tie with no problems. Pick up a nice patch of hair and tie away, no muss and no fuss. They lie flat in the water and catch fish for sure.

Posted on: 1/25 6:21

From Lancaster
I was reading the section on Stoneflies in Mike Heck's book "Spring Creek Strategies" last evening and it got me thinking about tying some Little Black Stonefly patterns. If the weather ever decides to warm up just a bit we will probably see some of them showing up on some of the spring creeks. Mike described them as a very solid late winter/early spring fly. Here are a couple of pictures of a nymph (size 16) and a dry (size 18) that I tied. The dry is nothing more than a size 18 black deer hair caddis and the nymph is just me free lancing it a bit at the vise. I never really tied many patterns for the Little Black Stone or fished them much for that matter but I think I might give them a try this year. Over the years I remember seeing numerous hatches of Little Black Stoneflies during late February and through the month of March but never had anything with me to fish those hatches.

Attach file:

jpg  L Black Stone Nymph.jpg (18.73 KB)
6132_52e3e22427072.jpg 432X336 px

jpg  L Black Stone Dry.jpg (19.67 KB)
6132_52e3e231b26b4.jpg 444X336 px

Posted on: 1/25 11:13

From Landenberg, PA
Whilst on the creek on Sunday I saw a single stonefly on a mid stream rock - size 12/14 black body with a grey wing .

I've seen them elsewhere - I use an x-caddis with a grey deerhair wing.

I think it may be an early dark stonefly rather than a little black stonefly ?

Posted on: 1/25 11:44

From SE Pa
Comparadun it is! Looks easy. I went to the store and picked up some deer body hair. I was surprised to see the different kinds of deer hair. There was deer hair, fine deer hair, coastal deer hair, and all kinds of dyed deer hair. I bought some called dark dun hair, comparadun hair, natural deer hair and fine deer hair.

What would be the best choice for a comparadun fly? What sizes should I tie? Is a Comparadun also called a yellow sally?

Posted on: 1/26 16:05

From Hershey
A compardun is a style of fly. A yellow sally represents a yellow stonefly. You can tie a comparadun to represent almost any dry.
I personally like coastal deer hair. Not all hair is equal. I like a light hair for the sulpher hatches and a darker hair for BWOs etc. Check with someone at the fly shop to see if they can help you. I take them out of the package and look for tiny black tips and the hair to be the same length.
There are a bunch of really good tying videos on youtube of how to tie a comparadun. Probably the easiest to tie. They sit low in the water and are easy to see.

Posted on: 1/26 17:23

From Hershey
Another dry you may want to consider that fishes well and is easy to tie is the "usual" by Fran Betters. There are videos online how to tie them. They are tied in a similar fashion to the comparadun.
I tie them in different colors, yellow, original white, BWO, black etc. They can be tied really small too. I have them down to size 24 to represent midges.

Posted on: 1/26 18:05

From LV
Quote:

poopdeck wrote:
So I can tie bwo's without wings and they will work? No wings it is then.

I tie BWOs' with a thread body and hackle with a tail, then clip the hackle that's under the hook, it will work when the catskill ties won't

Posted on: 1/27 21:41

From York
I've had good results with a stonefly nymph like dc410 is showing.

Posted on: 1/27 21:53

From SE Pa
Thanks to everybody who chimed in to help. I tied a bunch of comparaduns in different styles and sizes. They were an easy tie and it did not take long to fill a box with them. cant wait to try them out. Thanks again for the guidance.

Posted on: 2/21 18:16

From Clearfield
another option other than cdc, hackle, or deer hair wings is to tie with snowshoe rabbits foot. Works really well for emergers, is relatively inexpensive, is died to many colors, and gives a great "buggy look". Its also pretty easy to work with.

Depending on who you ask they will tell you to use different parts of the rabbit foot. I recommend splitting the foot between the toes and using the fibers from the middle of the foot. (ie mid way between the heel and toes). It will float pretty well and, in my opinion, is much easier to tie smaller flies with than deer hair.

Posted on: 2/21 19:35

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com