jig hook flies

D

dubthethorax

Bought some of these jig hooks a few weeks back and forgot about them. I pulled them out last night and knocked out some patterns to try for steelies next weekend. I figure the hook running point up will cut down on the snags. I actually tested out the 2nd one from the left today on the LL and it was great. I was bouncing it around some big rocks and it didnt catch or snag at all.

I even had two fish hooked up on it, but both threw the hook.

jig.jpg

Nice! I really like that concept, eps. for "anchor flies". What kind of hooks are they?

Yea. I'd be interested in the brand. I have been tying some flys for shad and those look like they would work great. Alos what sizes do they come in.

A scud hook tied with some weight (lead or lead substitute wire) and a bead ride hook point up. I tie many of my anchor flies that way.

Attachments

• 62KCFC_lg.jpg
    62KCFC_lg.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 5
They look like they would be killer on crappie and sunfish.

they look like they could be dohiku hooks nice4 long curved up points

Yep Dohikus in size 14

Where are you going for steelhead next weekend?

Salmon river NY

They look good. You might try some variations with a marabou tail, and really "get jiggy with it."

Dub the thorax,
I'm going up to Pulaski on the 13th of April for a float. Can you suggest any other fly's and sizes to tie.
Also, sure would appreciate a trip report.
Thanks
Buffalo

No clue really. I just throw a little of everything but usually rely on stones, eggs, black buggers, and the occasional sucker spawn. I've struck out on my last two trips so I'm the worst person to ask :)
Check whitakers.com for reports.

Back