Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

help with sparkle pupa

can anyone give me a list of the material i will need off of this site to tie lafontanes sparkle pupa. http://www.flyfishusa.com i know i need the antron, dubbing, hooks, etc. i just do not know what to use for the wings.

I also have some cdc puffs that i have laying around. Can anyone help me on what i can tie with these cdc puffs caddis wise?

Posted on: 2010/2/25 19:58

Re: help with sparkle pupa

the wings , or cdc emergers ,

Posted on: 2010/2/25 20:09

so i can tie the wings with the cdc puffs?

Posted on: 2010/2/25 20:12

From Bozeman
Resized Image

also, if you have longer cdc feathers:

http://www.danica.com/flytier/hweilenmann/cdcelk.htm

You cannot use liquid or paste floatant on it. Only powdered stuff.

Posted on: 2010/2/25 20:53

From Lewistown
I only use the poofs for emergers (regular cdc for wings), but that's my preference.

Posted on: 2010/2/25 22:15

From Lehigh Valley
skibo - This should help you out.

There's two different sparkle pupas:

emergent sparkle pupa (ESP)

deep sparkle pupa (DSP)

The biggest difference between the two is the use of a sparse deer hair overwing, and a few trailing fibers cut from the bubble on the ESP.

The DSP uses a hen back feather hackle collar, and it might be helpful to tie it on a wet fly hook to get it deeper.

If you're gonna buy the stuff to tie these, it might be a good idea to get it from sandly http://www.bigmeadowsflyshop.com/ since he has the authentic stuff to tie them.

Posted on: 2010/2/26 6:16

From Central Jersey
Skibo-

Heritage posted the same instructions that I use. They are very good. If bigmeadows does not have the material, you can get the original here.

http://www.thebookmailer.com/Supplies/body_FlyTying.html#materials

This Antron yarn is unlike any other antron or z-lon product. It is soft, supple, and works very nicely. Also, while I have your attention. That fly fishes very well as a dry! Very, very well. Just dust it up.

Posted on: 2010/2/26 8:09

From Chester County

Posted on: 2010/2/26 8:18

I want to thank everyone for the help. I am interested in The esp. I tied a micro caddis with some of my cdc puffs but when wet the puffs would just get pushed down and sort of turn it into slop. I do not know how to keep the cdc puffs up and sort of feather like when wet i guess.

Posted on: 2010/2/26 12:49

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
I have the real stuff in stock, the bookmailer is not origanal antron.

Posted on: 2010/2/26 15:01

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From Pa
Interesting. Perhaps we should explore BookMailers ideas on their products. I think the fact that these folks choose not to replace the material that they have sold out of with a substitute material shows alot of integrity as well as alot of respect for Garys work. Another poster emailed BookMailer and sent me the BookMailer version of the story. With his permission, here is BMs response:

Quote:
From what I can see his MasterBlend (100% natural fur with Antron) looks a lot like what I've seen Wapsi sell.
The yarn we sell is a knitting yarn that was specifically chosen by Gary LaFontaine because of it's specific blend. 70% acrylic to 30% antron. A lot of what you see out there (Wapsi included) is 100% antron mixed with fur. Our touch dubbing is just the yarn chopped & blended, so it's the same make-up.

Gary bought refrigerator boxes full of some of the colors of yarn. Others we've had to find through knitting stores, always making sure to keep his correct percentage blend. Unfortunately, some colors are being almost impossible to find. So we've had to discontinue several colors already. Doesn't seem any grandma's want to knit a black baby blanket.

We also sell the clear antron separately that you could use for wings.

Posted on: 2010/2/26 23:28

From Chester County
Quote:

Festus wrote:
Interesting. Perhaps we should explore BookMailers ideas on their products. I think the fact that these folks choose not to replace the material that they have sold out of with a substitute material shows alot of integrity as well as alot of respect for Garys work. Another poster emailed BookMailer and sent me the BookMailer version of the story. With his permission, here is BMs response:

Quote:
From what I can see his MasterBlend (100% natural fur with Antron) looks a lot like what I've seen Wapsi sell.
The yarn we sell is a knitting yarn that was specifically chosen by Gary LaFontaine because of it's specific blend. 70% acrylic to 30% antron. A lot of what you see out there (Wapsi included) is 100% antron mixed with fur. Our touch dubbing is just the yarn chopped & blended, so it's the same make-up.

Gary bought refrigerator boxes full of some of the colors of yarn. Others we've had to find through knitting stores, always making sure to keep his correct percentage blend. Unfortunately, some colors are being almost impossible to find. So we've had to discontinue several colors already. Doesn't seem any grandma's want to knit a black baby blanket.

We also sell the clear antron separately that you could use for wings.

That's why I can't find black! Thanks for the info. BTW, gray yarn and a black marker has worked well so far.

Posted on: 2010/2/27 7:26

af i have black in stock. Jack Mickivitz is the only person who has the real antron gary used. jack bought it up. I sell it including clear. I talked to jack this week and he says the others are a newer antron that takes dyes and is not the real stuff. antron's properties have been changed over the years, it is not the same. his antron is totally different then wapsi (which i have had in the past). It is done to gary's specs. This is one I do for the apple caddis its a killer pattern.

Attach file:

jpg  3-17-08 063.jpg (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2010/2/27 9:45

here is just a sample of the A.B. Caddis material. rest can be seen and bought on my site.

Attach file:

jpg  2-27-2010 031.jpg (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2010/2/27 11:13

From Chester County
Actually Sandy, I'm looking for the sparkle yarn which is combed out and used for the shroud around the fly.

Posted on: 2010/2/27 11:18

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes
No
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com