good source for cheap bucktails?

sniperfreak223

sniperfreak223

Just started to get back into fly tying after an extended medical crisis and discovered that I had a leak in the pipes around my fly tying materials storage in the basement. just did an assessment of my losses, and it turns out that pretty much my entire supply of bucktail and calftail was destroyed...any ideas where I could restock on the cheap?

Snipe, great to see you prowling again. Hope all is well, bummer about the leak. Sorry, I don't have a cheap source for buck tail, but it's good to see your avatar again. Have you googled around yet?

https://www.tackle-craft.com/product/ST-3129/Buck-Tails/

Quality is excellent, customer service is excellent.

I buy all my bucktails from here.

Hunting season is coming up. Do you have friends who deer hunt? Give 'em some zip-lock bags and ask for any tails. You might get a few for free this way.
For larger numbers of different colors, I like fly fishing or outdoor shows. Oftentimes, you can find a guy with a big box of deer hair chunks and tails in different colors and sometimes if you buy a bunch you can get a good deal.

Along the road up my way right now but the are dyed red and are mixed with plastic and glass.

Talk to a butcher/hunter to see if you can get some and then die them yourself to the colors you want. That's got to be the cheapest way out there.

Free bucktails - good.
$5 for dye per color
$$ dye pot
$ synthrapol
$ vinegar
time
The main cost is the dye, and you'll maybe only use it once, unless you're using bucktail per week tying flies.

Cheaper to buy, especially at $3-4 each. Believe me, i dye a lot.

hunting buddies or dear processing places can score you enough for years and years.

eunanhendron wrote:
https://www.tackle-craft.com/product/ST-3129/Buck-Tails/

Quality is excellent, customer service is excellent.

I buy all my bucktails from here.

Just placed an order for one of each color...thanks for the link. As you folks may know, I'm a big warmwater guy, so I go through a lot of bucktail.

Back