glo bug hooks

troutmagnet

troutmagnet

What is evryones favorite hooks fo tying glo bugs for stocked trout. I wanna tye a bunch up for the fall stocking, i will be using mcfly foam.

just a scud hook works great!

Daiichi Daiichi Daiichi, #1120, #1530,#2571,, also theres the Daiichi #1510,#1520, X510.
forget Tiemco 105's especially if you are going to the Great Lakes Tribs, they suck, are brittle and can't be depended on.
Daiichi IMHO is the Best, i also have some Mustad 9174's that are a great strong hook just don't forget to sharpen them,and the barb is huge.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

ok thanks, i am going to be targeting stockies so yeah thanks

Mr Wallace speaks the truth about hook strength. Daiichi scud hooks for steelhead or lose fish to straightened hooks.

Word.

For stocked trout any standard to 1x heavy scud hook will work fine. I tie them on standard wire scud hook, the lighter the wire the better the hook penetration on the hook set. Just dont go to light. And if your going for chrome, then go 3x heavy to be safe.

Daiichi makes high quality hooks period. Never once had an issue with daiichi.

here's a guy on ebay I have used about a dozen times for dai riki hooks. He's great. Just bought some more sz 10 scud hooks off of him last week to tie up glo bugs for erie tribs. Never had a problem with the dai riki's either (don't confuse with daiichi).

http://stores.ebay.com/Gypsy-Outdoors?_rdc=1

Eagle Claw Salmon egg hooks from Wal-Mart. Cheap, strong, and really won't bend too much.

My favorite globug hook:

http://www.whitewaterflies.com/catalog/daiichid1510-p-96.html

$4.89/25 pk. Always free shipping.

Those Eagle Claw hooks at Walmart are pretty good, too. They're the model L024. Size 14 is the smallest I've ever found, but its like a size 10 globug hook compared to other brands.

what about Leteras 800 pound hooks? HA!

white water flies has some good deals but Greg is slooooooow when it comes to shipping. The worst order from him was 17 days! I also have had several orders from him screwed up. I still do order from Greg from time to time. White Water Flies

The blue quill angler ships priority mail and you will get your order within a week. Also I dont know about you, but when I buy materials I always go over 5 dollars. Blue Quill Angler

I buy materials constantly to fill my production needs. So I seek out the best possible deals with shipping included, and who's gonna get them to me the fastest.

Heres a good spot for Daichii hooks. The glo bug hook is only 4.00. But you must spend 35 for free shipping. But thats not hard to do on a hook order. They also have some mustad models for great prices. This place also runs a annual sale, where you get 25% off your entire order. Big Fly Co

Saber hooks for the money are pretty good hooks. If your a tyer and flyer on a budget, imo they cant be beat for the price. I havent tried there egg hooks. One thing about them is they diesel barbs, but Mike now offers barbless. He also has daiichi for 4.75. Sure Drift, Saber hooks

Hope this helps save some people a couple of bucks.

Tight Ties
Johnny Utah

Gentleman,
For Trout these Daiichi models for your perusal
Daiichi : 1510 for a straight shank .....
Daiichi : 1120 for the best IMHO Egg Hook

For Steelhead/Salmon, PNW, Great Lakes, Alaska, these following Daiichi models
Daiichi 1520 ..a better choice heavier straight shank Estaz/Glo Bug
Daiichi 1530 ... a real brute for standard length straight shank Estaz Egg/Glo Bug hook and small Soft Hackles
Daiichi 1120 ..still the best curved shank Egg Hook for brutish Salmonids
Daiichi 2571 The Boss hook, IMHO this is my favorite staright shank classy {Black Jappaned}Micro Boss /Comet ,Estaz/Glo Bug /Micro Soft Hackle hook.
Stay with these hooks and you will never go wrong for egg hooks.I use to use Mustad for most of my hooks both production tying for 4 shops and my own purposes, when i ran out some types of mustads i tried a pack of Daiichi in various models, As my supply runs out i will only replace a few classic Mustad models and sizes, Im strictly all Daiichi with a smattering of specialty hooks for special ties, Partridge,Belvoirdale,Dave McNeese ect.
P.S. If I may retract a earlier statement, there is one Tiemco model that i have hoarded its the TMC 2499 SPBL and it is a worthy Egg Hook as well as caddis larva,midge larva.Super sharp Has a Owner point and super strong.But that is " THE " only tiemco hook that qualifies for a decent Egg hook from Tiemco. I also consider this their best Midge/Caddis larva hook in the smaller sizes,also a curved profile PT hook.

The guy I posted on ebay sells his dai riki's for $9 for 100 and $2 shipping no matter how many you order.

I also just ordered some Allen hooks and beads. We'll see how long it takes for me to get the order. This is my make it or break it order from them.

glo bugs and spawn, i use a mustad hook size 12 or 14 hook #C67S.

ok i also ordered from allen, this is my first time using there hooks

Allenhooks have same model #'s as Tiemco, supposedly a very good deal..too bad they don't have that 2499 spbl,thats the ticket for a Tiemco egg hook , its the only Tiemco i would spend my money on for an egg hook too see earlier post.The size is #10,remeber this style hook is 2 x short but has the gape and also heavy wire not to mention the killer Owner hook point.
Aside from that Daiichi Daiichi Daiichi Daiichi.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

ryguyfi....i contacted allen and he said since i ordered last night i should get them fri or sat. i just wanted to let you no.

Back