flooring

azjackstraw

azjackstraw

I've been building a fly tying/rod building room above my garage. I'm ready for flooring, and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions. Any pros and cons between laminate, carpet, or other products?

Carpet + hooks = no bueno

Laminate is super easy to install and easy to clean. That's what I would use.

laminate or tile also doesn't have cracks that hooks could potentially fall partially into like hard wood. Stepping on a hook that is wedged in a floor crack = no bueno!

How about vinyl flooring? You know, the kind that comes in a big roll. No cracks or crevises to catch hooks, etc. Just cut to size. Depending on the size of the floor space you can get some remnant rolls at a really good price.

Laminate. Be sure you have a good carbide tipped blade and cut outside. Durable as heck and easy to install. Just follow the directions.

Another thought, if the garage is unheated, you can install the 110 version of radiant heating.

I've had all three - I prefer carpet - a dark colour, to see hooks beads and materials that drop.

If you drop a not cheap tungsten bead on tile or vinyl it can go anywhere.

Whatever you choose - choose a solid colour, otherwise stuff just disappears.

3 inch multi color shag.

I have the low knap commercial carpet on the floor at my tying set up and bought one of those clear plastic mats like in an office it has worked very well locating anything that is dropped on the floor. ( in case you go with carpet)

Low profile carpet is fine....just find yourself an old computer hard drive...smash it and remove the large magnet....hook falls on floor just sweep the magnet across the area....picks up everything metallic!

That's a good idea, I use this:

photo13_zps3a44e200.jpg

Something to consider for your floor above your garage, depending on how your insulation is in the garage your floor could get pretty cold in the winter. Carpet would help out with some warmth. You can always just lay a rubber mat under your desk for dropped beads and hooks. Laminate is good for dropping stuff and easy cleaning but they get dirty pretty quick. I just ripped a laminate out of my house because it would get dirty within a day of cleaning.

A lot of great points, thanks. I'm prolly gonna go with a laminate. Price, ease of installation, and a neutral colour seem to win. I currently have a red/black-low pile carpet under my tying desk, and it has been a nightmare. I tried the clear plastic mat and that seemed to make it worse. Everything that hit it would bounce in various directions. I've spent much of my time, on the ground with my magnifying light. Hopefully not so much anymore.

Instead of choosing one over the other, how about having the best of two worlds.

DSCN5934.jpg

Wood or laminate flooring and an area rug.

I leave the area directly below the vise wood to find that dropped hook.

The rug will kill the sound of walking around and provide some warmth in the winter.

Laminate or vinyl. When we built our house i had vinyl installed in my tying room - best decision ever. Sweep every other week or so, pick out the dropped beads, hooks and flies, suck the rest up with a vacuum.

whichever way you decide to go get a telescoping magnet with or without lighting built in

3_5lbmagnetpickuptool.jpg

Back