dyed deer hair

h0ll0whill

h0ll0whill

trying to make muddler minnows with dyed deer hair. i am not near any fly shops and ended up at cabelas last weekend. picked up a pack and tried to tie with it tonight. i have to say it sucks! the hair is so thin and strangly, it wont spin right. just to make sure it wasn't me i tried it with natural deer and them came out fine.

so my question is where to get decent deer died deer hair?

The best deer hair to use for spinning is belly hair. Some of the assortment color packs you get at Cabelas, I believe are small pieces of dyed bucktail. The hair toward the tip of a bucktail is just as you described, very thin and next to impossible to spin. (great for tying streamers,Clousers and the like) On the other hand deer belly hair is hollow for insulation purposes and will flare and spin more evenly for making Muddlers and Deer hair bass bugs. White deer belly hair is dyed many different colors and primarily used for spinning. There is a web site called FishUSA.com that sells dyed deer belly hair in 10 different colors. Check it out, I think they are sold for less than $3.00 a piece. Sorry, I wasn't sure how to send you a direct link. Good luck with your Muddlers.

for spinning get the primo strips if they have them..if ya need a custom color call me in 2 weeks when i get back..after the 18th.

thanks for the info guys!!!! will try the website and if no luck will contact you sandfly

i have a couple pieces of buck tail and it is the same consistancy, but the dyed hair seems very much from the body (hair is alot shorter). Seems like the dyeing process dried and shriveled it up.

just found the label from the trash... and on the back it states yellowBAD.... haha... was in such a rush and didn't even pay attention... just grabbed it and went..

sounds like it was to hot when it was dyed...made it krinkled..

Back