dubbing question

F

flytyingfred

I havent been tying very long but I am using all natural dubbing for all my flies wet and dry.I am thinking of trying out some synthetic and I wanted to know if one is better than the other and also are they used for wet and dry flies. thanks in advance for any info on this subject. fred

There is definetly a difference between wet and dry dubbing. There are different brands out there and you just have to try them out. I use super fine for dries and an angora mix for most nymphs, which gives them a bit of flash. There are natural dubbing mixes like muskrat, beaver, hares mask, etc, and synthetics. I'd buy a few single packs of different kinds and see what you like best and then buy a dubbing dispenser of that brand and style. I like different things for different patterns too, so just try some things out and see what you like.

If you can get an Orvis fly fishing catalog, there is a section with all the different types of dubbing and there uses. As ryguyfi said there are many different blends for different applications. I like the super fine and SLF for dry flies and very small midges and possum for my buggy nymphs. Hope this helps.

Check out the websites for the flyshops on here , Sandfly has some nice dubbing on his site. Just like about anything else in fly tying there are varied uses and materials to accomplish just about anything you want.

Definately super fine for dries.

I like hare tron fro nymphs (half rabbit, half antron)

I have a dubbing dsipenser too, and like that stuff as well.

Super fine for dries.
Haretron for nymphs and such.
Also have a Ice dubbing dispenser i like to take a strand or two of a color or pearl and mix it into the dubbing for a little flash.

When i feel frisky, i make a dubbing loop with the peacock ice dubbing and use that where peacock herl is suppose to be. It gives the peacock color with a straglee, stringy look.

Osprey,
I go over to sandflys shop quite often,Hes always trying to talk me into using the synthetics. I just havent been in touch with him this weekend and thought I would get some opinions from the people at the forum also. thanks for the all the responses guys I appreciate it fred

I mostly use synthetic or mixed synthetic and natural in my tying for nymphs.

For example I don't often use peacock for my pheasent tails instead I use SLF prism brown olive (credit: http://www.youtube.com/user/troutpredator#p/u/10/EglyEfWD3ys)

I really like SLF prism and hareline UV dubbing

Kevin Compton @ performance files (really good guy to do business with) has some very nice looking Siman Synthetic Peacock dubbing that I haven't use yet but would seriously think about getting it ( I have to much dubbing right now :( ).

Hope this helps

Rob

Hi Rob - I wholeheartedly agree about Kevin Compton. That Siman dubbing is crazy expensive, but it really is great stuff! I got the peacock eye, and the peacock bronze. Much finer than Ice Dubbing, and easier to work with. Check out this pattern.

Kevin also carries Dohiku hooks (awesome!), and has good prices on tungsten beads. I'm trying to get Charlie at "A Sporting Lifestyle" to carry his products.

H.A.

West,
That Siman synthetic peacock dubbing is pretty nice. Kevin sent me a sample when I orderd hooks from him. But like you, I have more dubbing than I will probably ever use so I don't know if I'll order any.

What types of hooks did you get?

I'm thinking about buying some of the Dohiku, eyeballing the HDN 30 16 SH and some of the SP for bead heads. I'm want to tie up some micro-nymph

Rob

Sorry, i looked at it this morning. Its a Hareline dubbing dispenser not Haretron.

West,
I got both of those. I got size 14 in the SP and 16 SH. I also bought the HDD 301 size 16 and the G644 size 18. I really like these hooks.

Superfine definately an excellent choice for dries. I use beaver, life cycle, and awesome opposum for nymphs. Dubbing is cheaper, so i'd experiment with all kinds.

Back