HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: custom dubbing blending

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

mutzinbaugh wrote:
do you guys think that muskrat fur is good for nymphs?

Oh yeah. The muskrat nymph is a Central PA classic. If you pick out the sides, it also makes a good cressbug immitation.

http://www.flyfishersparadiseonline.com/product_p/wn07.htm

Blend 75% muskrat with 25% gray squirrel.

Posted on: 2013/2/11 7:15

Edited by Heritage-Angler on 2013/2/11 7:59:47

I'll agree - muskrat has been one of my favorite dubbing furs for years. Just muskrat fur dubbed on a hook - no tail, no shell, no rib - is a very effective fly. I like 25% gray to cream synthetic to make it a little more translucent. the squirrel makes it spikier. It is also easy to find free trimmings from trappers or furriers.

I'll show my age. Back in the 60's there really weren't any fly shops around and many materials had to be obtained locally - usually from a hunter or trapper. Muskrat was a prime dubbing back then, with bleached muskrat used for lighter flies. Bucktails and pheasant tails were also popular and grizzly hen capes came more from a retired layer than Metz, etc.

Of course muskrat is the original head dubbing for the Al's Rat - a PA fly and a hard to beat midge pattern. A pinch of synthetic will make the head glow a little more IMHO. The Al's Rat works best with a touch dubbed head that you hardly know is there. A very light touch dub on a silk thread also makes a great body for a soft hackle or emerger. Less is more - you just want to create a translucent look with the color of the thread showing through.

Posted on: 2013/2/11 10:50

From Central PA
ok now i need to find me a muskrat. al's rat, sow bug, etc...i need to get a bigger box.

actually i have been working on a sow bug pattern for a while now and still am not happy with the results, maybe i ought to dumb it down like the one in the video, kiss is what they say.

Posted on: 2013/2/11 23:38

From Ferguson Twp.
Where in central Pa. you at Mutz?

Posted on: 2013/2/12 6:22

Another dumb "sow bug" pattern - a gray Honey Bug on a 12 or 14 hook. KISS

Posted on: 2013/2/12 10:17

From Central PA
i meant no disrespect about dumbing it down, i just tend to put too much into my flies and the simple ties seem to work just as well...

do you have a pic of the grey honey bug jeff?

Posted on: 2013/2/12 21:01

From Central PA
lv2nymph, pm sent... basically upper dauphin county

Posted on: 2013/2/12 21:11

From Souderton PA
I really like muskrat and use it in a lot of patterns. But while we are on the topic of dubbing, I just picked up a beaver skin and can't believe how great this stuff is for dubbing. The hide is packed with dense underfur and it spins into a beautiful dry fly body. I haven't tried dying it yet, but I would bet it takes color well. It is probably too smooth to be useful alone on nymph patterns, but would likely make a great base for building a spikey blend. The skin wasa slightly damaged item (not good for furs, great for flys) circular and almost 3 feet in diamater, so for $8 I have a lifetime supply.
Mike.

Posted on: 2013/2/12 21:33

From Central PA
Quote:

FrequentTyer wrote:
I really like muskrat and use it in a lot of patterns. But while we are on the topic of dubbing, I just picked up a beaver skin and can't believe how great this stuff is for dubbing. The hide is packed with dense underfur and it spins into a beautiful dry fly body. I haven't tried dying it yet, but I would bet it takes color well. It is probably too smooth to be useful alone on nymph patterns, but would likely make a great base for building a spikey blend. The skin wasa slightly damaged item (not good for furs, great for flys) circular and almost 3 feet in diamater, so for $8 I have a lifetime supply.
Mike.

frequent tyer, do you have a recipe for olive dye? i was thinking about how to make olive dubbing...shoot a mink, mix the right rit dye, and there you go...

Posted on: 2013/2/12 22:09

From Souderton PA
Quote:

mutzinbaugh wrote:
frequent tyer, do you have a recipe for olive dye? i was thinking about how to make olive dubbing...shoot a mink, mix the right rit dye, and there you go...

You have to do some small batches and adjust to get the olive you want. My starting point for a small batch with Rit is the following:
4 parts yellow
1 part kelly green
2 parts dark brown
1/2 cup water
about 1 tablespoon white vinegar

A "part" is about 1/8 teaspoon. I have a little scoop that is about that size. everything but the vinegar gets microwaved in a glass jar for 1 minute, then stirred to get everything dissolved. I then microwave til it just begins to look like it will boil. Add vinegar, add material and move it around every few minutes. Pull out after maybe 10 minutes and rinse in cold water. If you want darker then put back in for another 5 min. You can reheat if needed, but I will usually only do that once.
Make sure the material is clean to start. If it is "raw" I will hand wash it with Dawn or Tide and rinse well. Also be sure to pre-wet the material in hot water first to help avoid blotching and to keep the dye from cooling too quickly.
Obviously the approach here is more art than science. I'll usually dye a small hide patch or a bundle of feathers and play around with time and amount of the different colors till I get what I want before scaling up to a large batch.
Mike.

Posted on: 2013/2/13 21:38

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Goal during a day on the water....
Catching a single fish makes me happy 19% (18)
I want to catch every fish in the stream 4% (4)
50 dinks is a dream day 2% (2)
Only want to catch big fish 9% (9)
Catching the toughest fish in the steam is my goal 4% (4)
Beautiful place, hit the hatch and whatever happens, happens 29% (28)
Who cares? It beats work. 30% (29)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/11/27 22:13
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com