Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: custom dubbing blending

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
O it will be worse then that, but I care not to elaborate and throw this thread way off track. Lol

Posted on: 2013/2/8 22:46

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Delaware River
He threatened to tell on me today too. All bark no bite.

Posted on: 2013/2/8 22:47

Yea, but I can actually tell your mom, and she could literally ground you. Ha

Posted on: 2013/2/8 22:50

From PA and NH
I need to see some water soon

Posted on: 2013/2/8 23:00

From Delaware River
Quote:

SBecker wrote:

"Mrs. Friedrichs, your son told me I fish with green weenies."

...she'd probably just file for a restraining order.

Posted on: 2013/2/8 23:01

From PA and NH
Clapped erasers, nice , the nuns were the worst, kick your ass then when you got home, you'd get it again. ..Today it would be child abuse

Posted on: 2013/2/8 23:04

Quote:

gaeronf wrote:
Quote:

SBecker wrote:

"Mrs. Friedrichs, your son told me I fish with green weenies."

...she'd probably just file for a restraining order.

Yeaaaaaa.....you have thought this out better then I.

Posted on: 2013/2/8 23:26

From Central PA
ok, the coffee grinder workds great with the natural animail fur but i am trying to find the right synthetic/yarn to use...one guy earlier said antron dubbing.

what other synthetic material are you guys finding mix well with natural fur?

Posted on: 2013/2/9 7:28

Any synthetic can work. Commonly use something with microflash to get a flashier blend. If a dubbing has too much coarse hair I blend a little soft fur to make it dub easier. Conversely, can add some guard hairs or coarse sythetic yarn to make dubbing spikier.

Multi color blends always work better than single color blends.

Chop up a nylon or any other synthetic yarn to add a little translucency. Can chop up any yarn you find for some sort of effect or color. Lots of options

Posted on: 2013/2/9 8:13

From Ferguson Twp.
Quote:

blueheron wrote:
Clapped erasers, nice , the nuns were the worst, kick your ass then when you got home, you'd get it again. ..Today it would be child abuse

How bout it, back in the day it was just bringing up a child responsibly. Any synthetic should work, you can cut it up to different sizes depending on how and what you want to use it for. You'll have to play with it to find what works for you and what your tying, custom blending is working from scratch you're creating a material you either can't get or can't find. You're gonna break some eggs along the way. If you start out with relatively small batches then once you find the ratio of materials then make a bunch. Hand blending works fine tyers have been doing it that way for years, as have I. I feel you get a much more even blend of colors and materials with this method which is why I stopped doing it by hand many years ago.

Posted on: 2013/2/9 8:56

From PA and NH
As a cross thread reference, fly tyers dungeon sells cheap synthetics that are suitable for blending. Vary the size of the snippets for the look you want. Blend less or by hand for a variegated look, my preference for most nymphs.

Posted on: 2013/2/9 9:07

From South Central PA
I am a heavy user of the coffee grinder for dubbing blends, particularly for synthetic yarns, as I am quite particular about color for certain patterns.

Unfortunately, nowadays most hobby stores sell yarns in large skeins for a few dollars and up, whereas I bought 10 yd micro skeins for 33 cents each (just checked price sticker) 10+ years ago (J & P Coats Plastic Canvas).

For dubbing, I find you do not need to separate the yarn plys before blending using the coffee grinder, which makes it very fast and convenient. If you cut each piece so that it is at least 1/2 inch, preferably 2/3 inch, and at most 3/4 inch, you will have optimized the result for dubbing. An on for a second, then off pulse to the grinder to get them started, followed by some longer pulses gets it thoroughly blended.

As to tying with these yarn blends, thread choice is very helpful here. A flat, slippery thread such as Danville or UTC is not as grippy as UNI.

Much like dubbing with ice dub, it is important to twist the dubbing on the thread for every wrap with your hand held close to the hook. It is not like twisting some rabbit on the thread a few inches and then wrapping. Not easy to explain. It can be like tying with African goat or seal fur.

For blending yarn with natural fur, you would want to do some blending of the yarn first, then throw in the fur to finish. I have to say I am not a fan of these yarn/fur blends even though quite a few companies sell them and tyers like them. On the other hand I blend natural furs all the time, usually by blender but sometimes by hand along the lines Blueheron mentions and for the same reason.

Lastly, though most of what I use is 100% acrylic yarn, there are considerable differences among them as to amount of softness and translucence or sparkle. If you see someone at the craft store strangely holding a six-inch strand of yarn to the lights to examine it for specks of brightness or sparkle, or fondling it in his fingers to evaluate texture, it's probably me and I am not a nutjob.

Posted on: 2013/2/10 10:58

From Bucks County
I tried this last week for the first time and it worked pretty well....
http://hatchesmagazine.com/blogs/Hatc ... -dubbing-by-juan-ramirez/

Posted on: 2013/2/10 12:01

From Newville, PA
I've been using two wire dog brushes like these.

Attach file:

jpg  image.jpg (14.71 KB)
5239_511849be865ec.jpg 400X400 px

Posted on: 2013/2/10 20:34

From Central PA
thanks again everyone...

this morning while the little one was sleeping i started a batch of fox with light and dark pink, yellow, and orange. the result was exactly what i was looking for. just used old cheap yarn that has been in my junk material box for 20 years.

now i am going to try mink next and if trapping season is not over i will get me a muskrat.

do you guys think that muskrat fur is good for nymphs?

Posted on: 2013/2/10 22:24

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com