cicada

djmyers

djmyers

I was playing around with some cicada patterns. What do you think? I am leaning more towards the hair wing instead of the other type wing.

Attachments

• Cicada Top.jpg
    Cicada Top.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Cicada Bottom.jpg
    Cicada Bottom.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 3
Very nice!

When I fished them in 2008, I tied some with hair wings, and others with wings cut from raffia.
They both worked equally well

I'd like to buy a half dozen of those!

Very nice flys Dean! I like the hair wing a bit more, but I've got no good reason.
Mike.

Hair wing. Now let the forests start singing so we can start plunkin' 'em down!

Hello; i would like to buy a half dozen cicada flies.Would you please e-mail me and let me know if you are selling them.My e-mail is tombutler21@yahoo.com thanks.

Holy crap! Look who posted!!! And they said old people are frightened by computers. :-D

I had gotten some from dj. Flies look great, reasonable price and fast shipping. Now all I have to do is find a place with cicadas.

Wait til Afish sees those. They look exactly (and I mean exactly) like the ones I tie. Nice work. You obviously saw the same solutions to the same problems as I did. They WORK. WELL. There is only one better pattern, and that is Chocklett's. Again, very nice.

Those Chocklett cicadas almost look too good to fish! I saw them for $6.95 a piece... :-o

Flies-PeriodicCicada.jpg

I tied a few cicadas up. So now we know they will never show up in the area.

Looks pretty similar to mine.... Maybe I should sell them too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BHRaxlOzjPw

CC, Not sure if you are serious but they look like different flies to me. DJ nice tie.

Garon,
Almost identical in everyway except one step. All the exact same materials... I guess in the FF world that is all you need to do is change one thing and then it is an original... Like using red thread on a clouser minnow then it can be your own pattern if you call it a redneck minnow....

You're right, because no one ever thought to wrap foam around a hook before.

That is true! There are alot of innovators out there. George Harvey claimed until the day he died that Left Krey used his baitfish pattern that ultimately became lefty's deceiver. I heard it first hand from him in FFP!

For the sake of defending myself I'll argue away.

First off, his is an extended body. He has at least 4 segments past the bend of the hook where-as yours is just protruding slightly past the bend of the hook. That also leads into a tying difference. The formation of the segments is totally different than just ribbing with a monofilament material. Besides that, the winging is different. He either split some orange flashy stuff or the thin mylar. Yours you put a clump of gray stuff over the back. Your heads are totally different. His goes over the front and encapsulates the top and bottom of the fly.

Now, before you edited your post, it stated that it was your copyrighted fly. If it is, good for you and if I were you I would go after that mischievous djmeyers and take back what is truly yours.

And for the sake of contradicting myself in this post and to what I had posted previously, to me its all just foam on a hook. If you can make a fish eat it that's all that matters.

Garon,
Everyone takes stuff so seriously on here. I like your description of a clump of stuff. i like how you counted the segments etc. You guys have too much time on your hands..... i was just pointing out it is similar.... I editted my original post because I didn't want people to think I was serious about copy righting. Flies are the most copied things in the world..... Maybe DJ and I can design a composite cicada pattern.... :)

To be fair, DJ never said it was an original pattern.
Anyone that thinks they have an original pattern is probably wrong. There are far too many creative tiers using the same materials to match the same bugs. That's one of the main reasons I like to focus on classic patterns. There have been a handful of truly innovative patterns in the past 10 years, and thousands of classic patterns tarted up with a bead or a foam post or a (gag) hotspot. They don't work any more than the originals, but give them a catchy name and they sell. I don't think there is really anything wrong with that. But I also don't think its worth arguing about it. Real innovation in trout flys ended around 1915.

If there was a like button, I would be hitting it for your statement FrequentTyer!!! :)

And it is only taken seriously when it is worded seriously. We don't have tone with written words so be careful how you word things.

Back