Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: best manufacturer of hooks

From wellsboro
I was just in the process of ordering some of those allen hooks on the net but not so sure know. I had heard some good things about them in the past but not much mention on this post except from becker which wasnt the best recommendation. Anyone else have an opinion on these while we are on this subject?

Posted on: 2011/10/26 7:44

From New Castle, PA
Johnny Utah sorry to tell you but Mustad's Signature hooks are the same hook maybe even junkier. They slapped a name on it and lowered the quantity you can buy while raising the price.

Posted on: 2011/10/26 7:58

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Quote:

flytyingfred wrote:
I was just in the process of ordering some of those allen hooks on the net but not so sure know. I had heard some good things about them in the past but not much mention on this post except from becker which wasnt the best recommendation. Anyone else have an opinion on these while we are on this subject?

Huh? I did not say anything about Allen hooks.

Posted on: 2011/10/26 8:41

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Montgomery County
dai-rikis are garbage. I have a few packs in different sizes and more than a few shanks are bent right out of the box. The 1x strong wire bends with 2lb test and a little snag will bend the tip. I've had good luck with Orvis, Tiemco and Daiichi. Tie my egg flies on 2x strong mustads... cheap and won't bend. Good for steelhead.

Posted on: 2011/10/26 8:59

From New Castle, PA
I buy my Tiemco's from my supplier I buy them by the thousand so they cost almost nothing for me. I get 1,000 hooks for $28. So if I snag one who cares.

Posted on: 2011/10/26 9:03

From SEPA
Quote:

flytyingfred wrote:
I was just in the process of ordering some of those allen hooks on the net but not so sure know.

They're pumped out of the same factory as every other offbrand hook. They're plenty good.

Posted on: 2011/10/26 12:11

From USA
Quote:

Leteras wrote:
I buy my Tiemco's from my supplier I buy them by the thousand so they cost almost nothing for me. I get 1,000 hooks for $28. So if I snag one who cares.

$28.00 for a thousand, Care to share your TMC supplier?

Also, How are them Allen hooks?

Posted on: 2011/10/26 12:20

From Souderton PA
Quote:

Leteras wrote:

Yeah, those 700% discounts are nice.

Posted on: 2011/10/26 14:21

From Souderton PA
Quote:

flytyingfred wrote:

Fred, I might have been the slightly negative voice on Allen hooks. I was not thrilled with their dry fly hooks. It has been a while since I tried them, and I only tried them once. I remember them being a bit softer/easier to bend that I was used to. Also, the look and finish just was not as nice as TMC and the points seemed a bit dull. None of this was a huge problem, and I might have just gotten a bad batch. As I mentioned, I like their scud and nymph hooks. I would recommend trying them for yourself, as we all obviously can't agree on much of anything here.

Posted on: 2011/10/26 14:28

From New Castle, PA
I am going to keep my hook supplier under my hat for awhile. lol

Posted on: 2011/10/26 18:47

frequent Tyer, I would agree with you on the Dry fly hooks of the AFF brand. We have made good strides on the improvment of them. We have improved the product in our Premium brand aswell. I am visiting the hook factory today in a few hours who makes my AFF line to discuss the dry fly hooks and to see a new hook machine in production for our barbless hooks. Im excited with the quality and progress of our hooks and always trying to improve for those that select to tie on our hooks.

Thanks

Justin

Posted on: 2011/10/26 19:14

From New Castle, PA
The new Mustads are on par with Tiemco IMO. The horror stories about their incosistency are a thing of the past.

Daiichi has an edge in sharpness.

These are just my opinions and I can't really back them up with anything aside from my experience.

Kev

Posted on: 2011/10/26 19:27

From New Castle, PA
I switched from mustad to tiemco because the quality of tiemco is far better than the mustads. In my opinion mustads are made with junk steel. I don't like hooks bending or breaking and that is a problem with mustad. I haven't had a tiemco bend or break on me yet. Their heavy scuds are great for steelhead.

Posted on: 2011/10/26 21:08

From The great north east
Quote:

Leteras wrote:
Johnny Utah sorry to tell you but Mustad's Signature hooks are the same hook maybe even junkier. They slapped a name on it and lowered the quantity you can buy while raising the price.

This is with out a doubt the dopiest statement i think you ever made. You clearly have not used signature hooks.

Sorry to tell you i have been using mustad for many years and the signature hooks are certainly an improvement from the classics. Any person that has used the classics and signatures will tell you the same.

Posted on: 2011/10/26 21:09

From The great north east
Quote:

Leteras wrote:
I switched from mustad to tiemco because the quality of tiemco is far better than the mustads. In my opinion mustads are made with junk steel. I don't like hooks bending or breaking and that is a problem with mustad. I haven't had a tiemco bend or break on me yet. Their heavy scuds are great for steelhead.

Spoken like a true tiemco head.

I call B.S. on this statement. If you dont know how to select the right wire size for the fish your after then thats your fault and not the manufactures. Mustad makes a far wider range of hooks then tiemco. They make heavier hooks than tiemco. These are facts. But im sure your will have some childish semantics to try and justify your b.s.

Daiichi is king for steel. Dont you know that???

Besides this thread is about hooks for small dry flies.......Do you even tie small dry flies?

Posted on: 2011/10/26 21:20

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com