bead heads

caveman

caveman

Now I am gonna ask what seems like a dumb question. I want to tie some bead head woolly buggers. So I bought some 3/16 brass beads at Basspro tonight. Supposed to fit size 6, 8, 10 hooks. What is the trick to getting them on the HOOK. None of the hooks I tried will work with these beads. I tried putting them on from both sides of the bead, thru the small hole first and the other way neither one works. Kind of PO'ed about it.

The narrow opening of the bead should be placed over the hook first. If the bead is getting hung up on the bend in the hook I usually just add some extra pressure to it and it should go on. If the barb is the problem I would just pinch it, but I do that to all my hooks. If you cant get the bead on by hand try using a small pair of needle nose pliers to twist it on. Good Luck.

john

I use the exact same beads from bass pro... As stated above ^^^ try and pinch the barbs down as they will usually slide right on for ya. They can be a PITA at times, and the frustration just goes hand in hand with tying I've come to find out.

Try pinching the barb, if that doesn't work then it could be the hook. Some hooks are a pain to put beads on!

JH

I did manages to get one on but I had to pinch the barb and darn near straiten the hook. Not what I want to do in either case.

I was hoping you were puuting them on from the point end. Very frustrating from the other end. Seen it attempted firsthand.

I would imagine that would be even more difficult, :)

you need a round style of hook for streamers with a bead like the mustad 79580, 9674, 9672 will work. Sounds like you are trying to use a limerick style of hook.

Back