bead head egg

azjackstraw

azjackstraw

Friends of mine were on Elk last weekend, did well on eggs, small orange an yellow. One of them, that I fish with a bit in Erie, said that he noticed he had a quite a few refusals. He fishes an egg, or egg pattern, with a dropper line from the bend, then places a small shot on that. I've used this rig and seen it work, but I as well, have seen refusals. I'm not sure if they hit the dropper line with the shot on it and turn or some other reason. I'm wondering, will a copper bead above an egg turn them off? Or am I gonna be playing snag the bottom on every cast? Any one have similar experience? I leave in 34hrs 7 minutes and some seconds, not that I'm counting!

I've fished bead headed eggs with success. I've also used a fly called Y2K that produced fish for me this year. You could be playing snag the bottom, but only if you don't have your leader/set-up right. I wish I was leaving for Elk in 34 hrs or so. Best of luck!

tie an antron egg with a gold bead in the middle.

It will work fine. I tie Y2K eggs and estaz eggs with bead heads all the time for steelhead. I see no reason why that wouldn't work for a glow bug too.

Thanks for the info! I tied a bunch with and without beads. I also did a few double and triple patterns with a lead wire base, with and with out beads. I hope the weather holds, the fish want to play, and I run out of flies!

Back