Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Your first fly pattern

From Bozeman
White pipe cleaner. I died it in coffee and wrapped it around a snelled hook. No thread necessary, and it caught fish on the breeches.

Posted on: 2010/12/23 9:12

From SE Pa.
First fly tied was a muddler minnow ,haven't tied one or fished one since lol

Posted on: 2010/12/23 9:19

From Pittsburgh
I took a 9 week fly tying course, and we tied 2 flies every week.
For the first class, I had to tie white marabou and black nose dace streamers.
Couldn't wait until week 4 however, when we tied dries - cahill and adams

Posted on: 2010/12/23 10:01

The best advice I could give someone starting out with flytying would be to learn the basics of thread management, proportions, and consistancy. My first pattern ever tyed was a wooly worm and I must have twisted up 3 dozen of them before moving on to the wooly bugger then nymphs, wet fly's, winged wet fly's and so on. I feel it is important to learn the fundamental foundation for all the classic "style's" of fly patterns before moving on to the more exotic and unconventional patterns that we are bombarded with thanks to the internet and print media these days. I've seen some sad looking fly's showcased in magazine articles and web blogs that display a lack of quality workmanship that give a good fly pattern like say the "Comparadun" some immortality in world of fly tying. Don't get me wrong, just because a fly is "ugly" does not mean it's not a fish catcher! What I am referring to is some details that stick out like a hook eye thats crowded or a thread head that's photogragphed in Hi-Def that has a loose end protruding. I'm not a perfectionist but I appreciate a tyer who goes the extra mile to turn out a fly that is durable, proportioned and proven to behave on or in the water. Lessons from an accomplished tyer or TU or a flyshop class will shorten the learning curve dramatically and give a you a foundation to build off of. I also believe that once muscle memory is imparted into the hands (which comes from practice at the vice) you can accomplish anything that you desire no matter what the level of difficulty. Sorry for the rant but I hope this helps you get started and pointed in the right direction.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to All!!

Jeff

Posted on: 2010/12/23 11:46

From Lewistown
I would also start with patterns that you can deconstruct to reuse the hooks.

You won't be too happy with your original ties but theres no sense in throwing all those hooks away. (I gave mine to local kids to fish with)

Posted on: 2010/12/23 11:58

From Gunpowder River, MD
My first ty was a winter stone fly dry..I would also suggest tying up patterns that you like to fish..Take one hatch at at time and come up with your own solution, or pattern for it..Next time to catch a stone fly, or one lands on your shirt, take a picture of it. Match the hatch..Come up with your own patterns.

Posted on: 2010/12/23 12:02

From Schuylkill County
muskrat nymph, taught the basics of bobbin use, dubbin thread and tying the fly off. Very basic

Posted on: 2010/12/23 14:54

From Suburban Pittsburgh
Wooly bugger was my first tie. I like MKern's advice, stick to 1-2 material flies, then progress to something else so that you can get thread control down. SJ Worm, Green Weenies, Griffith's Gnats, Zebra Midges would be good suggestions to start with.

I am not an expert tyer, but I have maybe 10 years of time on the bench. One thing I still do to this day that I learned early on is to tie up 8-12 of the same pattern. The first 1-2 maybe even 3 are part of a learning curve. The rest seem to be more consistent and accurate.

Enjoy your gifts from Santa, I got a fly tying kit from my father 10 years ago that I still think is one of the very best gifts I've ever recieved. It really got me hooked on tying.

Posted on: 2010/12/23 16:27

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
I like hearing you guys say wooly bugger for your first, When I started there was no such fly...was a hare's ear for my first.

Posted on: 2010/12/23 19:18

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From state college pa
mickey finn streamer.

Posted on: 2010/12/24 12:04

From Jonestown, PA
Brassie. Although I don't really carry them... I probably should though haha. :X

Posted on: 2010/12/24 13:05

From Westmoreland Co
Wooly worm; black chenille, grizzly hackle and red tag tail. Also the first fly I tied that i caught a trout with. Actually, I was the one who got hooked:) about 25 yr ago. Micky Finn was second.

Posted on: 2010/12/26 16:56

From aliquippa
first fly i ever tied was in 1988, a wooly worm, peacock body some red yarn as a tag or short tail palmerd with grizzly hackle, i still have it, never fished it though

Posted on: 2010/12/26 23:18

From Ohio
The first fly I ever tied was a pink glo bug for steelhead, it was an easy start. I was so excited the first time I caught a steelhead on one of my glo bugs. It was a victorious feeling, it makes me smile thinking about it. :)

Posted on: 2010/12/27 17:37

My first was a dark cahill wet. It still remains one of my late evening sulphur imitations that I rely on. Simple, elegant, and buggy as heck.

Posted on: 2010/12/27 23:25

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Goal during a day on the water....
Catching a single fish makes me happy 19% (18)
I want to catch every fish in the stream 4% (4)
50 dinks is a dream day 2% (2)
Only want to catch big fish 9% (9)
Catching the toughest fish in the steam is my goal 4% (4)
Beautiful place, hit the hatch and whatever happens, happens 29% (28)
Who cares? It beats work. 30% (29)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/11/27 22:13
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com