Your Go-to favorite fly of all time and then some ?

yea-who

yea-who

What's your go to pattern when nothing else is working ? The fly you have the most confidance in.
Mine is the green weenie.

It changes every so often, but the walt's worm is the best all around fly IMO.

I consider any simple cigar shaped dubbing fly a walt's worm, but then again, I'm not really big on naming flies by their given marketing name. I prefer to call them names that define what the fly's features are, and the "cigar shaped buggy dubbing fly" doesn't roll off the tongue.

I tie and use more Hare's ears than any other fly. It is simple to tie, doesn't take me too long so don't mind losing it, and can match just about anything. I mix up the color, size, and weight and can catch fish on any stream in the state with it.

After the main hatches are over in June, for summer and fall fishing, it would be #14 crowe beetle

When in doubt and nothing else is working, size 14 or 16 pheasant tails for nymph, size 14 or 16 (or sometimes 18, if it's trico time) parachute adams for dry. For summer terrestrial season, size 16 foam flying ant.

I will use a flash back pheasent tail. If the water is high a muddy after a heavy rain, then I will use a wolly bugger.

I always have a size 12 or 14 beadhead flashback PT. Killer on wild streams that don't see many guys.

For the more pressured streams I use a PT of some sort.

Hares Ear. Mickey Finn when nothing else works...

For stockies, a gold estaz bugger. For limestone wild trout, a variation of shenks minnow that I tie up. For mountain wild trout, heavily hackled, polypropelene winged wulffs.

Uncased caddis nymph.
Clouser minnows in wee sizes made with marabou.
Royal Wulff.

black nose dace along with some others

Sub-surface , gold ribbed hares ear nymph or small wooly bugger , Surface , small black foam bodied ant or any downwing caddis/stonefly type fly , smaller usually , both fished first dead drift and then with a lil motion. If i had these 4 flies available to me in a survival situation i would survive. I don't know why i look at things in that light , survival i mean , maybe it's a sign of the times , can't help it.

dryflyguy wrote:
After the main hatches are over in June, for summer and fall fishing, it would be #14 crowe beetle

Im with DFG, Crowe beetle, I like to use a size # 12 and you can throw in the orange ant too!

PaulG

size 16-18 PT nymph.

Have the most confidence in this fly.

Clouser chartruse and white- for salt based on my limited experience thus far.

For nymph fishing, if I had a HE and/or a PT I know I would catch fish anywhere and anytime.

When smallies won't hit a yellow popper, I'll drift a helgrammite nymph under a large indicator.

pBead head rince nymph, tied on a curved shank size 12 or 14 nymph hook. It catches fish dead drifted along the bottom,down and across like a wet, swung by cutbanks or through tailouts like a streamer, and produces for me almost every outing.

streamer: Black sculpin
Nymph: Probably Walt's Worm, PT is up there too.
Dry: Parachute Adams in an appropriate size for the hatches.

Copper John, if one color isn't working I'll switch to a different color. I think I have them in about 12 different colors.

Back