HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Yeah or nay on UV epoxies

From pennsylvania
Quote:

troutpoop wrote:
Any thoughts or suggestions on a brand of epoxy and/or UV light and pros & cons to trying this new addition to the tying table?

What's wrong with good old Devcon 5 minute epoxy?
25 ml for about $4.50 - you do the math.
Here's the drill -
-tie a dozen of your favorites and line them up on some packing foam.
-mix up a small batch of devcon on a post-it note and get a tooth pick.
-apply to the flies with the tooth pick. It takes about 2 seconds for each fly.
-let them dry
- start tying the next dozen flies

Having tied hundreds of dozens with epoxy and also with three of the UV products that JU reviewed, I have the ability to determine that the epoxy is easier to use and way more economical. It is a bit messier, and you should really wait about 6 hours to use the flies.
UV is harder to use, takes longer to apply but never yellows and can be fished right away.
I don't like the "slimy" feel inherent in a non alcohol wiped or non Sally Hansen coated UV fly

Posted on: 2011/12/25 21:58

From The great north east
Gutcutter, If you like epoxy over u.v. resins, Give aleene's fabric fusion a try. Its water based, so clean up is a breeze. It dries hard as rock, but not brittle and it doesnt yellow. No mixing, just have to wait for it to dry. I use it quite often.

Posted on: 2011/12/25 22:09

From pennsylvania
Quote:

JohnnyUtah wrote:
If you like epoxy over u.v. resins, Give aleene's fabric fusion a try.

I use both epoxy and UV products, but I am trending back to epoxy more and more these days unless I have only a few flies to finish.
Does the fabric fusion give that "ball effect" on a wing case. Is it "runny" enough to be spun on a drying wheel like five minute epoxy can? What is the dry time?
Most importantly, does it have that "tacky" or "slimy" feel to it that the UV treated flies do?

Posted on: 2011/12/25 22:28

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

gutcutter wrote:
Does the fabric fusion give that "ball effect" on a wing case. Is it "runny" enough to be spun on a drying wheel like five minute epoxy can? What is the dry time?
Most importantly, does it have that "tacky" or "slimy" feel to it that the UV treated flies do?

gut - Having never tried Fabric Fusion on something like a surf candy, I couldn't answer about using a drying wheel with it. It is runny enough though.

I mostly use it on wing cases, scud backs, and such. Dry to the touch in about 20 minutes for the thicknesses I do. The drawback to it is that it shrinks down considerably when dry - you have to apply enough to compensate for this, or do 2 or more coats. It's also "self levelling", so what you see isn't what you wind up with, a lot of the time. That's what I like best with the UV coatings - move it around with a bodkin until it's in the shape you want, blast it, and it is done - shape wise.

FF dries smooth to the touch, without any slimy feel like UV stuff. I believe it is more durable than either epoxy, or UV stuff. It's only $5 at Wally World, and worth a shot, IMO.

H.A.

Posted on: 2011/12/26 7:05

From Bethlehem, PA
FYI. On a sort of related topic, if you have kids and have the Crayola Glow Station, the light pen that comes with it will cure the Loon products. I use that instead of the little pen light that comes with the Loon kit. Much easier to hold....back to your regularly scheduled debate...

Posted on: 2011/12/26 8:46

Quote:

gutcutter wrote:
Quote:

JohnnyUtah wrote:
If you like epoxy over u.v. resins, Give aleene's fabric fusion a try.

I use both epoxy and UV products, but I am trending back to epoxy more and more these days unless I have only a few flies to finish.

When its first opened, it is as thick as any u.v. resin. The advantage of the product is it is water based. So you can thin it by adding water, or thicken by just leaving the cap off for a bit. When its dry it is not sticky or slimy. It really is great stuff.

With the u.v. cures the sticky or slimy residue is from the curing agents. They need time after the application of U.V. light to evaporate. Extended light times will also help significantly with the evaporation rate and the overall outcome of the u.v. resin.

Posted on: 2011/12/26 13:26

From perkasie,pa
jayl, did that light work? i see lots ov uv lights on ebay really cheap and didnt know if they would work. are all uv lights created equal? you can buy a uv light from amazon for $5, label it as a fly fishing product and sell it for $30. crazy.

Posted on: 2011/12/27 10:18

From Bozeman
I wouldn't have recommended it if it didn't work. UV is UV. Works like a charm.

Enjoy your $5 present to yourself.

Posted on: 2011/12/27 10:56

From Delaware Co.
You can get good ones really cheap ones on Ebay
.................................Just Saying..................................................

Posted on: 2011/12/27 16:19

I agree with Jayl. U.v. is U.V. However, not all lights are put out the same amount, just like with regular flash lights, some are brighter. The brighter the u.v. light the quicker it will cure the resin.

Posted on: 2011/12/28 9:46

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com